Hospital That Dispatched Paramedics and Treated Eric Garner to Pay Family $1,000,000

Eric Garner’s stepfather, Benjamin Carr; mother, Gwen Carr; and widow, Esaw Garner, at a prayer service July 14, 2015, at Staten Island, N.Y.’s Mount Sinai United Christian Church to mark the one-year anniversary of Eric Garner’s death 
Spencer Platt/Getty Images

The medical center that dispatched paramedics and ultimately treated Eric Garner after his fatal encounter with New York City police officers has agreed to pay $1 million to his family, the Associated Press reports

According to the newswire, the settlement with Richmond University Medical Center in New York City’s borough of Staten Island is confidential and was separate from the $5.9 million agreement the family reached with New York City in July. However, the figure was uncovered in court documents filed in Surrogate’s Court on Staten Island, which detail how the money is to be dispersed among the family. 


AP notes that the $1 million is the maximum claim allowed under the medical center’s liability-insurance policy. 

“The EMTs did not conduct the appropriate examination” of Garner and “failed to provide him with the necessary life-saving procedures,” court documents detailed, according to AP.  

In footage of the July 17, 2014, incident, emergency workers could be seen checking Garner’s pulse and making sure he was breathing before putting him on a stretcher. 

“Sir, it’s EMS. We’re here to help you. We’re getting the stretcher, all right?” one worker said to Garner after they arrived on the scene at 3:36 p.m. Garner did not respond. Later, a witness could be heard asking why workers weren’t attempting to resuscitate Garner. An officer responded that it’s because the Staten Island father was breathing. According to hospital records, Garner went into cardiac arrest while on the stretcher. Doctors performed CPR at the emergency room, but by 4:15 p.m. he had no pulse. He was declared dead at 4:34 p.m.


Read more at the New York Post.

Share This Story