UPDATED Saturday, Sept. 21, 9:55 a.m. EDT: Chicago Police Superintendent Garry F. McCarthy on Friday called for a ban assault weapons and high-capacity magazines, a day after gunmen opened fire at a South Side park, wounding 13, including a 3-year-old boy, CNN reports. "An assault-style rifle with a high-capacity magazine was used in the shooting, which appears to be gang-related," he said. No one has been arrested yet in the Thursday night shooting that sent shockwaves around the nation and prompted Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel to cancel a trip to Washington. On Friday, Semehca Nunn, grandmother of the injured 3-year-old, made headlines in her plaintive call for the violence to stop.
The Associated Press is reporting that police are investigating the Thursday night shooting of 13 people, including a 3-year-old boy, at a park on Chicago’s South Side.
The attack late Thursday in the city's Back of the Yard neighborhood left three victims, including the boy, in critical condition. The others were reportedly in serious or fair condition.
The child's uncle, Julian Harris, told the Chicago Sun-Times that dreadlocked men in a gray sedan shot at him Thursday night before turning toward nearby Cornell Square Park and opening fire. He said his nephew was shot in the cheek.
"They hit the light pole next to me, but I ducked down and ran into the house," Harris said. "They've been coming round here looking for people to shoot every night, just gang-banging stuff. It's what they do."
Police officials declined to discuss details of the investigation. Ron Gaines, a department spokesman, said no arrests had been made and that victims were being interviewed to try to determine the circumstances surrounding the attack, which happened shortly after 10 p.m.
Read more at the Associated Press.