Black News and Black Views with a Whole Lotta Attitude
We may earn a commission from links on this page.
Black News and Black Views with a Whole Lotta Attitude

Watch: Michael Brown and Darren Wilson Encounter Lasted Less Than 2 Minutes

We may earn a commission from links on this page.

The deadly encounter between Ferguson, Mo., police Officer Darren Wilson and unarmed 18-year-old Michael Brown on Aug. 9 lasted less than two minutes, according to records obtained by the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

The dispatch records, obtained under Missouri’s Sunshine Law, provide the best timeline yet for the events surrounding the shooting of Brown, the report says. The information comes just days before a grand jury is expected to announce whether it will indict Wilson in the killing, which sparked ongoing protests over law enforcement’s use of force in the black community:

At 11:29 a.m. on Aug. 9, a dispatcher asked Wilson to help other officers search for a man who had reportedly threatened to kill a woman. At 11:47 a.m., Wilson said he would respond to a call for a 2-month-old with breathing problems. Wilson drove his police SUV from the west side of West Florissant Avenue to Glenark Drive, east of Canfield Drive and Copper Creek Court, where the fatal encounter would soon occur, the report says

At 11:53 a.m., a dispatcher reported a “stealing in progress” at the Ferguson Market. The 911 operator was still talking to the caller in the background. In a second broadcast, 19 seconds later, the dispatcher says the suspect is a black male in a white T-shirt running toward QuikTrip, and had stolen a box of Swisher cigars.

About four minutes later, there’s more detail: The suspect is wearing a red Cardinals hat, a white T-shirt, yellow socks and khaki shorts, and is accompanied by another man.

At noon, Wilson reports that he’s back in service from the sick-baby call. He then asks the officers searching for the thieves—units 25 and 22—if they need him. Seven seconds later, an unidentified officer broadcasts that the suspects had disappeared.

At 12:02 p.m., Wilson says, “21. Put me on Canfield with two. And send me another car.” His call triggered at least two officers to head his way, including one who said he was close to Wilson.


The calls do not provide details about Wilson’s claim of a radio call of “shots fired, send back-up,” NewsOne notes.

The Post-Dispatch also obtained police-station surveillance videos that provide the most recent images of Wilson, who has stayed out of the public eye since the shooting. Wilson left the police station for the hospital two hours after the shooting, accompanied by other officers and his union lawyer, the report says. Video footage shows them returning an hour later.

Read more at the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.