Erin McLaughlin and Laura Smith-Park of CNN are reporting that singer Amy Winehouse's death this summer was the result of alcohol poisoning. An inquest on Wednesday ruled her demise a "death by misadventure."

A pathologist told a coroner's court in north London that alcohol toxicity was the cause of the 27-year-old's death, with her blood-alcohol levels measured at more than five times the legal limit for driving.

The Grammy Award-winning artist, who had battled alcohol and drug abuse over several years, was found dead at her north London home July 23. Testimony at her inquest showed no traces of illegal drugs in Winehouse's system — but more details emerged about her losing battle with alcohol.

Winehouse's physician, Dr. Christina Romete, said she saw Winehouse at 7 p.m. the day before she died, when the singer was tipsy but still able to hold a conversation. Asked when she was going to stop drinking, Winehouse replied that she would call Romete over the weekend to discuss it, the physician said. She also said that Winehouse was aware of the risks associated with alcohol abuse.

The results of this inquest confirm what many already knew: Winehouse was a troubled person who self-medicated to get through life. Unfortunately for Winehouse and her family, she overdid it one time too many. Alcohol is a drug and should be taken as seriously as other addictive substances. Hopefully Winehouse has found the peace that evaded her while on Earth.

Read more at CNN.

In other news: Businessman at Center of New Birth Fraud Probe Speaks.