Sunday night will be the last Sunday night of 2017. For some, it will be the last night they can stay up as late as they want before starting out a new year at work Tuesday morning.
They say the way you bring in your new year is indicative of how you will spend the year, so bringing in the new year by having a romantic evening with your love (or someone you are into) is a perfect way to start things off right, right?
Now, if you are going to do this, then please do it right. If you put a half-assed effort into it, your love life for the new year is probably going to look half-assed as well. Get off to a good start.
See what I did there?
Here are some tips:
- Create a playlist of all your favorite sexy and mood-enhancing songs. I personally have a playlist that is specifically for boning, and I know I am not alone in this. Crank that baby up and play it throughout the evening on repeat. Include plenty of Prince slow songs (they all nassy!) and Marvin Gaye at his wailing best.
- A romantic picnic in the middle of your living room on a thick, soft blanket or even in the middle of your bed would definitely set the right tone. Eat enough to feel satisfied, but not so much that you can’t participate in the action later. The meal you eat should be delicious, but not one that is overly heavy or one that will lead to unfortunate side effects like painful gas and bloating. None of that is sexy, and none of that will lend itself well to a night that ends with good sex. Think light finger foods that you feed each other.
- Get a few good bottles of wine. Avoid heavy alcohol because while it may sound good in theory, if you have ever suffered your way through vodka or whiskey dick, you know that this is not ever a good idea. A good, full-bodied wine such as malbec or merlot will be good to give you just the right amount of buzz without turning the evening into a drunken nightmare. Drunken sex is just not very sexy.
- Get the ambience and atmosphere right. Dim the lights and make use of scented candles. The most popular store for body products and household scented items is having a huge sale right now, and its three-wick candles are currently only $10 each. Run over and get a few, but make sure the scents are not heavy—just light enough to tickle the nose and give the house a good aroma. An alternative to candles is night-lights. I know you may not have used them since you were a kid, but strategically placed night-lights can create a romantic mood without being intrusive.
- Wear something sexy. It doesn’t have to be lingerie—it could be that romper you got on sale after Thanksgiving and have been waiting for warmer weather to wear. Wear something to be peeled out of. Make it an adventure for your partner. Give your partner something to look at and something to do later. It will be fun for both of you.
- Remember that foreplay is important for both of you and can be the best part of the evening. Make a game out of it. Test the limits of each other’s nerve endings. Bring in the new year discovering or rediscovering your partner’s body.
- Have whatever protection you are going to use close by. Nothing is more of a mood killer than fumbling around to try to find the protection. If you are planning to use condoms, have them set out already in a cute, decorative bowl near your love nest. Make them easily accessible and readily available. And have plenty of them. This could be a long night.
This is just one of many ways to have a good night on New Year’s Eve.
However you choose to spend it, and whomever you choose to spend it with, be safe and have fun.
And remember that when you come home from that first day back at work in 2018, The Root After Dark will be here to keep you company that night.
Happy New Year!