The 12th Gyalwang Drukpa, the Buddhist leader of South Asia, waves a scarf in front of a mural of Freddie Gray as he tours Baltimore’s Sandtown neighborhood May 7, 2015.
Alex Wong/Getty Images

It's been a year since Freddie Gray died.

On April 12, 2015, Baltimore police dragged the 25-year-old into a police van like a broken tree branch. His legs weren't working. They trailed behind him like kite tails. Inside the van, he would fall into a coma. He was taken to a trauma center, where he stayed until his death on April 19, 2015.  


Shortly after Gray's death, which the coroner ruled a homicide, Baltimore rioted; a CVS burned; Baltimore City State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby stood on the steps of the War Memorial and told Black Lives Matter protesters that she heard their cries. She promised justice. Six officers were indicted. A collective sigh of relief that maybe justice or something that looked like it would be served. Maybe this time, the incident that happened in the dark would bring some kind of light—light in the shape of hope. The way sunlight looks when it's only been raining.

Here's everything that's happened in Gray's case since his death.

In May 2015, six police officers—William Porter, Edward Nero, Caesar Goodson Jr., Garrett Miller, Brian Rice and Alicia White—linked to Gray's death were all arrested and issued charges ranging from assault to second-degree murder.


The Cops

William Porter: The first officer to stand trial was charged with manslaughter, accused of failing to buckle Gray into the back of the police van, ABC News reports. After three days of jury deliberations in December, Porter's trial ended in a hung jury. His retrial is scheduled for September 2016.


Edward Nero: He is the next officer to be tried, with his trial set to begin in May 2016. Nero is charged with misconduct, second-degree assault and false imprisonment; he is accused of arresting Gray without probable cause, ABC reports.

Caesar Goodson Jr.: As the driver of the police van, he faces the most serious charges. According to ABC News, Goodson is facing a charge of second-degree depraved heart murder and is expected to go on trial in June 2016.

Garrett Miller: He faces second-degree assault, two counts of misconduct in office and reckless endangerment. According to CNN, Miller, who was on bike patrol the day Gray was arrested, was one of the first officers to encounter Gray during his arrest. He reportedly placed Gray in a restraining technique known as a "leg lace." His trial is scheduled for sometime this year.


Brian Rice: On bike patrol with Miller, Rice is facing involuntary manslaughter and second-degree assault charges, as well as two counts of misconduct in office and reckless endangerment. Rice reportedly helped place Gray in restraints and assisted in carrying Gray to the police van. His trial is scheduled for sometime this year.

Alicia White: She found Gray unresponsive on the floor of the wagon and allegedly did nothing to assist him. Even after being told that Gray needed a medic, prosecutors charge, White still did nothing to assist Gray. She faces involuntary manslaughter, second-degree assault, misconduct in office and reckless endangerment charges. Her trial is scheduled for sometime this year.

The Prosecutor: Marilyn Mosby


Since charging the officers, Mosby has gotten off to a shaky start. Many argued from the onset that she might have overcharged the officers in an attempt to get them to turn on one another. The problem with that strategy, critics argued, was that if no officer turned, Mosby would have a hard time proving that criminal intent took place inside the van. After the mistrial in the first case, Goldie Taylor wrote a piece for the Daily Beast titled, "Marilyn Mosby, Baltimore's Hero Prosecutor, Is Blowing the Freddie Gray Case," in which she argued, "No one may ever be convicted in the death of Freddie Gray."

Mosby would come under attack in May 2015 for attending a "Rally4Peace" Prince concert in honor of Gray. Mosby reportedly received tickets to the concert from her husband, Baltimore City Councilman and then-mayoral candidate Nick Mosby.

Former Assistant U.S. Attorney for the District of Columbia Laura Coates tweeted:


Recently, Marilyn Mosby has faced protesters at several public appearances, including one event in which Mosby walked out after a protester confronted the state's attorney about the handling of a case and her lack of transparency, the Baltimore Sun reports.

See the heated exchange below: