At least four people are reported dead after a shooting Wednesday at Fort Hood military installation in Texas, and more than a dozen were injured, according to authorities, the Washington Post reports.
According to the Post, the gunman, identified as Army Specialist Ivan Lopez, 33, is among the four, having taken his own life, officials said.
According to reports, six people, whose injuries "range from stable to quite critical," were taken to Scott & White Memorial Hospital in Temple, Texas, Glen Couchman, the facility’s chief medical officer, told the Post.
President Obama, speaking from Chicago, said his administration was following the shooting closely.
"I want to just assure all of us we are going to get to the bottom of exactly what happened," he said. "We're heartbroken something like this might have happened again."
This is the second time that the Army post has been the site of a rampage shooting. In 2009 Nidal Hasan, who was a major, opened fire, killing 13 people and wounding 32, making Fort Hood the scene of the worst mass murder at a military installation in U.S. history, the Post reports. Hasan, an American-born Muslim who had been in contact with members of al-Qaida, reportedly shouted, "Allahu Akbar," or "God is great," as he opened fire.
Last year Hasan was sentenced to death for the shootings after being found guilty of premeditated and attempted premeditated murder.
Investigators are still trying to determine a motive for Wednesday's shooting but do not believe that the shooter was driven by religious beliefs, according to two Pentagon officials who spoke to the Post. Several news outlets are reporting that the shooter was being evaluated for post-traumatic stress disorder and was treated for depression and anxiety.
"The scenes coming from Fort Hood today are sadly too familiar and still too fresh in our memories," Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas) said in a statement. "No community should have to go through this horrific violence once, let alone twice."
Read more at the Washington Post.