Sherman Crow
Savannah, Ga., Police Department

A Savannah, Ga., man is facing multiple charges after allegedly shouting racial slurs at an elderly woman and ramming the vehicle she was riding in, the Savannah Morning News reports.

Sherman Crow, 65, was charged with reckless driving, reckless conduct, disorderly conduct, making terroristic threats, aggravated assault and driving with an unlawful blood-alcohol level in the incident that occurred last month.

Ira McPherson was helping her mother-in-law, 82-year-old Joan Wilson, get into a car on the evening of May 26 at Red & White Jones Food Market. McPherson, police say, had pulled her car up to the front of the store so that Wilson would not have to use a walker to get across the store’s parking lot. That was when Crow, according to authorities, apparently became impatient and started shouting, “You [n—ger] bitch" and other derogatory statements as Wilson tried to get into the car. As the two women tried to leave the parking lot, Crow allegedly rammed his car into McPherson’s vehicle repeatedly, causing the airbags to deploy.

“Upon escorting Mr. Crow to the back of a marked patrol vehicle, I could smell the strong odor of an alcoholic beverage as he was talking,” a police report noted.

McPherson and Wilson suffered minor injuries in the incident, in which the doors and fenders of McPherson’s car were damaged.


“My daughter-in-law was just helping me so I didn’t have to use my walker,” Wilson said. “He just started yelling. I was stunned. It was shocking.”

According to the Morning News, this is the second time that Crow has been arrested for verbally and physically attacking an African American while inebriated.

In October 2014 he was arrested on disorderly conduct, public drunkenness and simple battery charges after he allegedly yelled racial slurs at an employee when he was denied service at a local Subway. Crow also tried to climb over the fast-food store’s counter and attack the woman, throwing items at her, according to officials.


Crow is scheduled for a June 28 court appearance in this latest incident.

Read more at the Savannah Morning News.