Last night, all the sexy people strutted their red-carpet stuff at fashion’s biggest night out: the Met Gala, the annual fundraiser for the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s Costume Institute in New York City. Issa Rae was ready to shine as usual, giving the evening’s theme, “Heavenly Bodies: Fashion and the Catholic Imagination,” her own spin with a touch of Wakanda-inspired glamour.
The Glow Up got the blow-by-blow from Rae’s hairstylist, Felicia Leatherwood, on how she created the look for the night, crafting Rae’s braided hairstyle with help from Suave Professionals.
“Following the celestial theme, I added Senegalese hair adornments to incorporate Issa’s heritage into her look,” Leatherwood said. “We wanted something that would play off the theme, but also create something stunning and polished.”
Mission accomplished. So, how did she do it?
- Start with freshly washed and conditioned hair using Suave Professionals Avocado + Olive Oil Smoothing Shampoo & Conditioner.
- Section hair and apply Suave Professionals Avocado + Olive Oil Leave-In Conditioner all over for maximum moisture. This was the key to making sure her hair was moisturized and flexible for styling.
- Part hair into small sections, and cornrow hair up and secure with hair pins.
- Adorn front braids with hair jewelry and beads.
- Mist hair with Suave Professionals Natural Hold Micro Mist Hairspray to tame flyaways for a polished look that will last all night long.
Rae’s sleek braids made a perfect counterpoint to her Michael Kors gilded gown. The actress, who told Vogue that she “prefers to stay in,” turned it out last night as she always does: in perfect style. Here’s to leading the way for #BlackGirlsWinning on the red carpet with natural beauty ... and doing it in style.
Now, what will we have to look forward to when Rae hosts next month’s CFDA Awards?