Ferguson, Mo., Unrest Continues as Protesters and Police Clash

Stephen A. Crockett Jr.
A demonstrator protesting the shooting death of teenager Michael Brown scrambles for cover as police fire tear gas in Ferguson, Mo., on Aug. 13, 2014.
Scott Olson/Getty Images

It was another tear-gas-filled night in Ferguson, Mo., as protesters continued to demand justice in the shooting death of 18-year-old Michael Brown by a still-unnamed police officer.

A militarized police force with riot gear and SWAT vehicles continued to demand that protesters disperse around 9 p.m., according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. But demonstrators were not backing down, and the newspaper reported that some were antagonizing the police.


"If I'm going to go, I'm taking one of you with me," warned one demonstrator.

Another reportedly shouted, "We're not dogs, so what the hell you've got those whipping sticks for? Because you want to whip us like dogs."


According to the Post-Dispatch, the majority of the interaction between police and protesters was verbal until someone tossed a bottle near police, resulting in their firing tear gas.

The demonstrators retreated into nearby neighborhoods, but the newspaper reports that the police also used sonic cannons, which emit a piercing sound, to scatter crowds.


This is the fifth straight day—and the third tear gas-filled day—since Brown's death that crowds have gathered in protest.

The Post-Dispatch reports that police authorities are asking the community for patience during the investigation.


"The timeline on this is there is no timeline," St. Louis County Prosecuting Attorney Robert McCulloch said during an afternoon press conference, according to the Post-Dispatch. "We will do this as expeditiously as possible. But we won't rush."

"I know that's not the answer anybody wants to hear at this point," he said. "Everybody wants to know what happened."


While McCulloch wouldn't give a timetable as to when the investigation would be complete, he did note that it would take longer than two weeks. He also noted that he was not going to do anything to compromise the investigation and that at this time, the medical examiner's report and 911 call will be withheld from the media, according to the Post-Dispatch.

"We want to test the veracity and accuracy of anybody who comes to us," McCulloch said during the news conference, noting that both good and bad information is being shared over social media.


What has been confirmed, according to the Post-Dispatch, is that the officer involved in the shooting was taken to the hospital for facial injuries he reportedly suffered during the incident, Chief Thomas Jackson said in another news conference.

Jackson told those gathered that he is working to fix the strained relationship between the police department and the African-American community.


"We have always had real good relations with all of the neighborhood associations," Jackson said during the news conference, according to the Post-Dispatch. "Apparently, there's been this undertow that now has bubbled to the surface, and it's our first priority to address it, to fix what's wrong."

Read more at the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

Share This Story