The Associated Press reports that Brian Banks, a former California high school football star, plans to file a claim against the government after his rape conviction was tossed out this week. But he does not have plans to sue the woman, who retracted the decade-old sexual assault accusation, his lawyer said.
Banks spent five years in prison after pleading no contest to forcible rape. A judge threw out the conviction on Thursday.
Wanetta Gibson was a 15-year-old high school sophomore when she accused Banks of raping her at Long Beach Poly High School. She received a $1.5 million payment from a civil suit brought by her mother against Long Beach schools.
Prosecutors have said they have no immediate plans to charge Gibson, now 24, with making false accusations, saying it would be a tough case to prove. Brooks told the Times that Banks would not file a claim against Gibson.
Police in Long Beach said there is no official investigation into Gibson's conduct, but officers are "reviewing the matter" and "will be in consultation with the district attorney's office following the review," spokeswoman Lisa Massacani told the newspaper.
In a strange turn of events, Gibson, friended Banks on Facebook when he got out of prison.
During an initial meeting with him, she said she had lied; there had been no kidnap and no rape and she offered to help him clear his record, court records state.
Read more at the Huffington Post Black Voices.