One person was killed and 14 injured in a shooting at a Cincinnati nightclub early Sunday morning. Cincinnati Assistant Police Chief Paul Neudigate said that there was “only one reported shooter” at the Cameo nightclub, and several victims have life-threatening injuries and are undergoing surgery.
There are currently no suspects in custody, and police are still looking for and interviewing witnesses, according to CNN. Police also say that there is no reason to suspect foreign terrorism. USA Today reports that the conflict apparently had begun “between specific groups of individuals earlier in the day, escalating to the nightclub tragedy.”
Local reports note that shortly after 1 a.m. Sunday, someone heard the club’s DJ call for security; then shots rang out.
“It was a chaotic scene,” Sgt. Eric Franz said. “The club was completely packed.”
Franz said that four off-duty officers were working parking lot security at the time of the shooting; two of them were at the front door and heard the shots. The officers attempted to give first aid to the victim who eventually died.
Some of the injured drove themselves to area hospitals, police said.
One patient was treated for a gunshot wound and released from Anderson Hospital. Another person walked into West Hospital with a non-gunshot injury and was treated and released.
CNN reports that Cameo allows admission to anyone over the age of 18 on Friday nights. Saturday nights are 21 and above and promoted as “grown and sexy” night.
Located in the city’s East End area, Cameo serves a mostly African-American clientele, if flyers from its Facebook page are indicative of its audience.