Shooting on Capitol Hill

Mandel Ngan/AFP

Updated Oct. 3, 6:30 p.m. EDT: Rep. Michael McCaul (R-Texas), who chairs the House Committee on Homeland Security, told CNN Thursday afternoon that the suspect in the shooting near Capitol Hill was a 34-year-old African-American woman with "possible mental-health issues." She tried to ram security barricades and was shot and killed by security.

McCaul appeared on The Situation Room With Wolf Blitzer, giving these details and adding that a child who was in the car with the suspect is an 18-month-old girl. Law-enforcement officials refused to give out any details on the subject because of the pending investigation, but D.C. Chief of Police Cathy Lanier did say in an evening press conference that the child was in good condition and in protective custody. 


Lanier confirmed that two officers, one from the Secret Service and one from Capitol Police, were injured in the incident. She also confirmed the death of the suspect.


(The Root) — A lockdown was lifted at the U.S. Capitol at about 3 p.m. on Thursday after shots were heard near Capitol Hill and one female suspect was shot and killed, NBC News reports. The woman tried to drive her car into a barrier near the White House, resulting in a chase by the Secret Service and shots being fired.


It is unclear whether the suspect was in possession of a firearm, though Capitol Police Chief Kim Dine said that it appeared that all shots had been fired from police trying to stop the car, the Washington Post reported

A child was reportedly in the black sedan, which was hit by gunfire. The child is reported to be safe.  


"This appears to be an isolated incident," said Dine, according to NBC. "Both scenes are under control."

According to NBC, the woman tried to breach the security point at 15th Street and E Street shortly before 2:30 p.m. A high-speed chase lasted for approximately 12 blocks before the gunfire started. 


Capitol Police warned employees to take shelter, stay away from windows and lock doors. "Close, lock and stay away from external doors and windows. Take annunciators, Go Kits and escape hoods and move to the innermost part of the office away from external doors or windows. If you are not in your office, take shelter in the nearest office, check in with your OEC and wait for USCP to clear the incident. No one will be permitted to enter or exit the building until directed by USCP. All staff should monitor the situation. Further information will be provided as it becomes available," Capitol Police wrote in an email to staffers, according to Politico.

According to Time magazine, one Capitol Police officer was injured. 

Share This Story