James Frye, who courageously saved four people from a Brooklyn, N.Y., apartment fire earlier this month, has succumbed to injuries he suffered while attempting to rescue a fifth, New York's Daily News reports.
The 47-year-old Parks Department worker, who was staying with a friend, Adrienne Mitchell, while his own apartment was being renovated, sprung into action when the fire broke out June 2 in Mitchell’s building.
He helped get the older woman’s four grandchildren out of the apartment and then went back in to get Mitchell, but the flames and heat had become too intense.
Mitchell, who was 59 and had to use a walker, died in the fire. Frye tried to escape by jumping out the second-floor window. He was taken to Brookdale University Hospital in critical condition and placed in a medically induced coma, but he never woke up. He died on Thursday.
Officials have determined that an overloaded power strip caused the fire.
Read more at the Daily News.