Freddie Gray Case: Hung Jury, Judge Declares Mistrial

Stephen A. Crockett Jr.
William Porter, one of six Baltimore City police officers charged in connection with the death of Freddie Gray, and the first to face trial, outside the courthouse in Baltimore on Nov. 30, 2015
Rob Carr/Getty Images

Updated Wednesday, Dec. 16, 3:45 p.m. EST: A Baltimore jury failed to reach a verdict in the case of Baltimore Police Officer William Porter, the first of six officers set to be tried in the death of Freddie Gray, forcing Judge Barry Williams to declare a mistrial.

According to CNN, jurors told the judge Tuesday that they were unable to reach a unanimous decision and Williams ordered them to continuing deliberating. On Wednesday jurors returned and were deadlocked on reaching a unanimous verdict on any of the four charges against Porter. 


“The judge told the prosecution and defense attorneys to appear in administrative court Thursday morning to set a new trial date,” CNN reports.

The news station notes that prosecutors will decide whether to retry the case.


A Baltimore jury ended its first day of deliberations deadlocked over the verdict of a police officer charged in the death of Freddie Gray.


According to ABC News, closing arguments in the case of Baltimore Police Officer William Porter ended Monday afternoon. Porter faces “second-degree assault, involuntary manslaughter, reckless endangerment and misconduct in office charges,” according to ABC News. Porter is the first of six police officers slated to stand trial in Gray’s death. Porter has pleaded not guilty to all of the charges.

On Tuesday the jurors told Judge Barry Williams that they were unable to reach a decision. Williams asked the jury to continue deliberating until it could reach a unanimous decision.


“Compromise if you can do so without violence to your own moral judgment,” Williams said, according to ABC News.

The day ended with no decision, and jurors, after a full eight hours of discussion, were allowed to leave for the day.


The jury has been charged with determining whether Police Officer Porter contributed to Gray’s death.

In April, Gray died after suffering a severe spinal injury while in police custody. “Officer Porter allegedly failed to get medical help for Gray as the transport vehicle carrying the suspect made several stops in Baltimore after picking him up on the way to the police station,” ABC News reports.


Shortly after Gray’s death, Baltimore erupted in protest, and, ABC News notes, the city is worried that an unpopular Porter verdict could lead to demonstrations.

Read more at ABC News

Share This Story