los angeles
-
Steve Jobs’ Widow Gives 2 Los Angeles Teachers $10,000,000 to Start School for Homeless and Foster Kids
Two teachers in Los Angeles—Kari Croft, 29, and Erin Whalen, 26—have won $10 million in XQ: The Super School Project, a high-school-redesign competition funded by Laurene Powell Jobs, the widow of Steve Jobs, according to the Los Angeles Times. The school will be geared to homeless and foster children. RISE, the name of the project, stands for Revolutionary…
-
Will the Jordan Downs Redevelopment Turn Watts Into Calif.’s Flint, Mich.?
In August 2013, the city of Los Angeles approved a $1 billion project to tear down the Jordan Downs housing project in Watts and build a mixed-use development that includes apartments, shops and restaurants. At the time, both Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti and Housing Authority President and CEO Doug Guthrie lauded this development as a win for…
-
Los Angeles Massage Therapist Charged in Alleged Sexual Assault
A California massage therapist is facing charges that he sexually assaulted one of his clients, the Los Angeles Times reports. Daniel Holbert, 48, was arrested earlier this week without incident at G Train Fitness Gym in North Hollywood and charged with one felony count of sexual penetration by false representation. According to the report, Holbert…
-
Family 'Devastated' After Brain-Dead 2-Year-Old Is Removed From Life Support
After a monthslong legal battle in which a California family fought to keep a brain-dead 2-year-old boy alive, the child, Israel Stinson, was removed from life support at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles on Thursday, CBS Los Angeles reports. “They are devastated. I think still in shock,” the attorney representing Israel’s family, Alexandra Snyder, said. “It’s…
-
ProPublica Releases Video Showing in-Custody Death of Vachel Howard
ProPublica has released the video of the in-custody death of Vachel Howard that, it says, the Los Angeles Police Department didn’t want released. Howard died June 4, 2012, while in the custody of the LAPD’s 77th Street Station jail. The 56-year-old grandfather of seven had been taken into custody for driving while intoxicated and had…
-
Los Angeles Serial Killer 'Grim Sleeper' Sentenced to Death
Los Angeles’ notorious serial killer the “Grim Sleeper” was sentenced to death Wednesday for the murders of nine women and a teenage girl that spanned more than two decades, the Washington Post reports. “I can’t think of anyone that I’ve encountered in all my many years in the criminal-justice system that has committed the kind…
-
Black Man Killed by L.A. Sheriff's Deputy Was Not a Suspect in Carjacking, Officials Say
At first, officials had identified 27-year-old Donnell Thompson as a suspect in a carjacking. Now the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department has released a statement acknowledging that Thompson, who was fatally shot during an encounter with police last month, was actually innocent, the Huffington Post notes. “We have determined that there is no evidence that Mr.…
-
Los Angeles Serial Killer the 'Grim Sleeper' Should Be Sentenced to Death, Jury Decides
A Los Angeles jury has decided that the serial killer known as the “Grim Sleeper” should face the death penalty for murdering nine women and a teenage girl in a 23-year killing spree, the Associated Press reports. Lonnie Franklin Jr., a 63-year-old former city trash collector and garage attendant for the city’s Police Department, was…
-
UCLA Gunman Identified as Former Doctoral Student Who Accused Victim of Stealing His Computer Code
Authorities have identified the UCLA gunman in the murder-suicide on campus Wednesday as Mainak Sarkar, a former doctoral student who accused his victim of stealing his computer code and giving it to someone else, the Los Angeles Times reports. Sarkar reportedly killed himself after fatally shooting 39-year-old UCLA professor William Klug in Engineering Building 4. Klug,…
-
Calif. Jury Deadlocks in Case of Man Who Spent 16 Years in Prison Before Murder Conviction Was Dismissed
A mistrial has been declared in the case of a California man who spent 16 years in prison before his murder conviction was overturned, the Los Angeles Times reports. The mistrial comes as a Compton jury deadlocked Tuesday on charges of mayhem and assault with a deadly weapon in the case against 42-year-old Reggie Cole,…

