baton rouge
-
Family of Alton Sterling Files Wrongful Death Lawsuit
The family of Alton Sterling—a black man who was gunned down on July 5, 2016, by Baton Rouge, La., police—has filed a wrongful death suit against the city, the Baton Rouge Police Department, the police chief and two officers involved in the encounter. The lawsuit claims that the shooting fit a pattern of racist behavior…
-
18-Year-Old Baton Rouge, La., Honor Student Dies of Gunshot Wounds 3 Days Before Graduation
Tragically, yet another young black man has fallen to gun violence. A senior at McKinley High School in Baton Rouge, La., and former starting quarterback died Saturday evening from a gunshot wound after a party celebrating the upcoming graduation, WAFB reports. Bryant Lee, 18, was shot in the head early Saturday morning in North Baton…
-
Baton Rouge, La., Police Officers Will Not Be Charged in Alton Sterling’s Death: Report
The Justice Department has decided not to charge the officers involved in the fatal shooting of Alton Sterling, according to the Washington Post. Sterling was shot July 5, 2016, after someone called to complain that Sterling was selling CDs out of a car in the parking lot of the Triple S Food Mart and had…
-
Baton Rouge, La., Braces for Results of Alton Sterling Investigation Under Jeff Sessions’ DOJ
The city of Baton Rouge, La., site of the July 2016 police shooting death of Alton Sterling, is reportedly bracing itself for the results of a U.S. Justice Department investigation into what many see as one of the most callous acts of “black death porn” ever perpetrated by po-9. It will be the first high-profile…
-
Lawyer Asks Federal Judge to Dismiss Cop’s Lawsuit Against Black Lives Matter Activist
Campaign Zero co-founder and prominent activist in the Movement for Black Lives DeRay Mckesson is being sued by an unnamed Baton Rouge, La., police officer who claims he was injured during a protest in the city four days after a police officer killed Alton Sterling, and now an attorney for Mckesson is urging a federal…
-
Baton Rouge, La., Settles Lawsuit With BLM Protesters for $100,000
Black Lives Matter protesters who were arrested in July while demonstrating after the shooting death of Alton Sterling will receive a monetary settlement from the city of Baton Rouge, La. As part of the settlement the Baton Rouge Metro Council approved on Tuesday, four agencies will pay activist DeRay Mckesson and his fellow plaintiffs $100,000.…
-
Baton Rouge, La., Police Officer Sues DeRay Mckesson for Protest Injury
A Baton Rouge, La., police officer who says that he was injured during a protest of a deadly police shooting filed a lawsuit against prominent activist and Campaign Zero co-founder DeRay Mckesson on Monday. According to the Associated Press, the officer, who is identified only as John Doe in the lawsuit, says he was struck…
-
La. Man Lights Wife on Fire After Spraying Hair Spray on Her: Report
John Emmett Harleaux, 28, of Baton Rouge, La., was arrested after allegedly lighting his wife on fire during an argument, CBS News reports. He was arrested Tuesday on a felony count of domestic abuse by burning. According to CBS News, during an argument in September, Harleaux began spraying his wife with flammable hair spray. He then…
-
Activist DeRay Mckesson Sues City of Baton Rouge, La., Over Arrest
Black Lives Matter activist DeRay Mckesson filed a lawsuit against the city of Baton Rouge, La., Thursday over his arrest last month at a protest for Alton Sterling during which more than 200 people were detained, the Associated Press reports. The lawsuit filed on behalf of Mckesson and two others arrested accuses the city and…

