The Root and MassMutual have teamed up to embrace the celebration of Black History Month by honoring African American history and resolve. Through the #JourneyOfMe Sweepstakes, brought to you by MassMutual, we invite you to honor your past while creating a legacy for your future. Share what you would like to know about your roots on Twitter for the chance to win.
The #JourneyOfMe Sweepstakes, brought to you by MassMutual, will give one lucky winner the chance to learn more about their family. The grand prize is travel and lodging up to $2,500 for one lucky winner to visit family to learn more about your roots.
Your family tree says more than “who” – it says “what” and “how.” Tweet @massmutual what you would want to learn more about your family or ancestry, if given the opportunity. Share your tweet between February 5, 2015 and February 28, 2015 for your chance to win!
Please note that by entering, you agree to all Terms and Conditions of the sweepstakes.
The winner of the #JourneyOfMe Sweepstakes and one guest will receive travel and hotel accommodations (coordinated by The Root), valued up to $2,500 to visit relatives within the contiguous United States.
-Must be 18 years or older to enter
-Must be a U.S. resident
-One entry per person
the winner of the #journeyofme sweepstakes and one guest will receive travel and hotel accommodations (coordinated by the root), valued up to $2,500 to visit relatives within the contiguous united states.
-Must be 18 years or older to enter
-Must be a U.S. resident
-One entry per person
NO PURCHASE IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE DOES NOT INCREASE THE CHANCES OF WINNING.
Official Rules for the JourneyofMe Sweepstakes
1. Sponsor: The Sponsor of the Sweepstakes is The Root, 1350 Connecticut Ave. NW, Suite 410, Washington, D.C. 20036, USA (the “Sponsor”). The Sweepstakes is not sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Twitter, or any other social media platform through which the Sweepstakes may be promoted.
2. Eligibility: The JourneyofMe Sweepstakes (the “Sweepstakes”) is open only to those who enter in accordance with these Rules and who are 18 years old as of the date of entry. The Sweepstakes is only open to legal residents of the United States and is void where prohibited by law, (collectively “Entrant,” “you,” or “your.”) Entrants must have an active Twitter account, e-mail account, and Internet access or access to an iOS or Android smartphone with a data plan. Message and data rates may apply. By submitting an entry via Twitter, Entrants agree to Twitter’s Terms of Service. Employees of The Root (the “Sponsor”) their respective affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies, suppliers and their immediate family members and/or those living in the same household of each are not eligible to participate in the Sweepstakes. The Sweepstakes is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations. Void where prohibited.
3. Agreement to Rules: By participating, you agree to be fully unconditionally bound by these Rules, and you represent and warrant that you meet the eligibility requirements set forth herein. In addition, you agree to accept the decisions of the Sponsor, as final and binding. The Sweepstakes is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws.
4. Sweepstakes Period: Entries will be accepted starting on or about 9:00am Eastern Standard Time (EST) February 5, 2015 and ending 11:59 PM EST February 28, 2015. All entries must be received by February 28, 2015 11:59 PM EST. The final winner will be announced on or about March 9, 2015.
5. How to Enter: The Sweepstakes must be entered via Twitter in accordance with Twitter’s Terms of Service. To enter, you must tweet a response to a prompt by The Root/Sponsor. As an example only, Sponsor’s prompt may be “If given the opportunity, what would you like to learn about your family or ancestry?” For the entry to be valid, the tweet must include “#entry" and “#JourneyofMe” and mention “@massmutual". The entry must fulfill all sweepstakes requirements, as specified, to be eligible to win a Prize. Submission of an Entry does not indicate the Entry has complied with the Official Rules. The Sponsor reserves the right in its sole and absolute discretion to reject, disqualify and/or remove any Entry (along with the Entrants’ who submitted them) that violates these Official Rules or is otherwise inappropriate without any notification or warning.
By submitting an Entry, the Entrant understands and grants to the Sponsor permission for his/her Entry and other Entrant information to be posted on TheRoot.com throughout the world for viewing by visitors to the website and used in accordance with the Official Rules.
By participating, Entrant grants Sponsor permission to use his/her personal information, including but not limited to his/her name, hometown, and likeness for future advertising and publicity purposes in any form or format and in all media without additional compensation, notification or permission. Sponsor reserves the right in their sole and absolute discretion to alter, change or modify any Entry and to modify any photo or image of an Entrant’s likeness. Entries made by any other individual or entity that is not the owner of the twitter account or email address used to enter or made in any manner inconsistent with these Official Rules will be declared invalid and disqualified from this Sweepstakes.
Entries are subject to all notices posted online including but not limited to Sponsor & The Root’s privacy policies. No responsibility is assumed for lost, late, misdirected, incomplete, incorrect, garbled, stolen, damaged, altered, delayed or illegible entries. All Entry materials submitted become property of the Sponsor and will not be returned or acknowledged.
Entrants may be disqualified at the sole discretion of The Root. You may enter only once and you must provide the information requested if selected as the winner. You may not enter more times than indicated by using multiple email addresses, Twitter handles, identities or devices in an attempt to circumvent the rules. If you use fraudulent methods or otherwise attempt to circumvent the rules your submission may be removed from eligibility at the sole discretion of The Root.
6. Prize: There will be one (1) Prize (“Prize”) of travel within the contiguous United States for the winner and one (1) guest age 18 or older to visit eligible family members. Total Prize Value not to exceed an approximate retail value of two thousand five hundred U.S. dollars. ($2,500.00) for air and ground travel and hotel accommodations. The Prize will not include any incidentals such as meals, rental cars, souvenirs, tips, taxes or fees. Any amount above $2,500 for travel and hotel accommodations will be the sole responsibility of the winner and guest. Trips are not transferable, and a change in itinerary or travelers is not permitted after the reservation has been made. Transportation tickets may not be transferred, bartered, or redeemed for cash. Actual/appraised value may differ at time of Prize award. The specifics of the Prize shall be solely determined by the Sponsor. No cash or other Prize substitution permitted except at Sponsor's discretion. The Prize is nontransferable. Any and all Prize related expenses, including without limitation any and all federal, state, and/or local taxes shall be the sole responsibility of the winner. Acceptance of Prize constitutes permission for The Root to use winner's name, likeness, and Entry for purposes of advertising and trade without further compensation, unless prohibited by law and permission to use winner’s personal information as described in these Rules.
7. Odds: The odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received.
8. Winner selection and notification: The winner of the Sweepstakes will be selected in a random drawing under the supervision of the Sponsor. The winner will be notified via email or Twitter to the email address or Twitter handle they entered the Sweepstakes with within five (5) days following the winner selection. The Root shall have no liability for a winner's failure to receive notices due to winners' spam, junk e-mail or other security settings or for winners' provision of incorrect or otherwise non-functioning contact information. If the selected winner cannot be contacted, is ineligible, fails to claim the prize within 5 days from the time award notification was sent, or fails to timely return a completed and executed declaration and releases as required, prize may be forfeited and an alternate winner selected.
The receipt by winner of the prize offered in this Sweepstakes is conditioned upon compliance with these rules and any and all federal and state laws and regulations. ANY VIOLATION OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES BY ANY WINNER (AT SPONSOR'S SOLE DISCRETION) WILL RESULT IN SUCH WINNER'S DISQUALIFICATION AS WINNER OF THE SWEEPSTAKES AND ALL PRIVILEGES AS WINNER WILL BE IMMEDIATELY TERMINATED.
Potential winner shall be required to sign and return within ten (10) days following an attempted notification, an Affidavit, Declaration or Certificate of Eligibility, Liability Release, and where legally permissible, a Publicity Release and grants to Sponsor the irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free license to reproduce, distribute, display, and create derivative works of the entry and/or the potential winner’s biographical or personal information including name and likeness. One (1) invited guest shall be permitted and will be required to sign and return within ten (10) days following an attempted notification of the potential winner a Liability Release, and where legally permissible, a Publicity Release granting similar rights to Sponsor as granted by the potential winner. Failure of either winner or guest to execute and deliver any required documents to Sponsor by the specified deadline may result in disqualification from the Sweepstakes, and selection of an alternate potential winner. NONCOMPLIANCE OR RETURN OF PRIZE NOTIFICATION AS UNDELIVERABLE, WHETHER BY REGULAR MAIL OR BY EMAIL, MAY RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION AND SELECTION OF AN ALTERNATE POTENTIAL WINNER.
9. Rights Granted by you: By entering this Sweepstakes you understand that The Root and anyone acting on behalf of The Root, or its respective licensees, successors and assigns will have the right, where permitted by law, without any further notice, review or consent to print, publish, broadcast, distribute, and use, worldwide in any media now known or hereafter in perpetuity and throughout the World, your entry, including, without limitation, the entry and your name, portrait, picture, voice, likeness, image or statements about the Sweepstakes, and biographical information as news, publicity or information and for trade, advertising, public relations and promotional purposes without any further compensation.
10. Terms: The Root reserves the right, in its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Sweepstakes should (in its sole discretion) a virus, bugs, non-authorized human intervention, fraud or other causes beyond its control corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness or proper conduct of the Sweepstakes. In such case, The Root may select the recipients from all eligible entries received prior to and/or after (if appropriate) the action taken by The Root. The Root reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who tampers or attempts to tamper with the entry process or the operation of the Sweepstakes or website or violates these Terms & Conditions.
The Root has the right, in its sole discretion, to maintain the integrity of the Sweepstakes, to void entries for any reason, including, but not limited to; multiple entries from the same user from different IP addresses; multiple entries from the same computer in excess of that allowed by sweepstakes rules; or the use of bots, macros or scripts or other technical means for entering.
Any attempt by an entrant to deliberately damage any web site or undermine the legitimate operation of the sweepstakes may be a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made, The Root reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law.
11. Limitation of Liability: By entering you agree to release and hold harmless the Sponsor, The Root, Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company and their, subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising and promotion agencies, partners, representatives, agents, successors, assigns, employees, officers and directors from any liability, illness, injury, death, loss, litigation, claim or damage that may occur, directly or indirectly, whether caused by negligence or not, from (i) such entrant's participation in the sweepstakes and/or his/her acceptance, possession, use, or misuse of any prize or any portion thereof, (ii) technical failures of any kind, including but not limited to the malfunctioning of any computer, cable, network, hardware or software; (iii) the unavailability or inaccessibility of any transmissions or telephone or Internet service; (iv) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Promotion; (v) electronic or human error which may occur in the administration of the Promotion or the processing of entries.
12. Disputes: THIS SWEEPSTAKES IS GOVERNED BY THE LAWS OF THE UNITED STATES AND New York, WITHOUT RESPECT TO CONFLICT OF LAW DOCTRINES. As a condition of participating in this Sweepstakes, participant agrees that any and all disputes which cannot be resolved between the parties, and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Sweepstakes, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, exclusively before a court located in New York having jurisdiction. Further, in any such dispute, under no circumstances will participant be permitted to obtain awards for, and hereby waives all rights to claim punitive, incidental, or consequential damages, including reasonable attorneys' fees, other than participant's actual out-of-pocket expenses (i.e. costs associated with entering this Sweepstakes), and participant further waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased.
13. Privacy: Entrants agree that personal information, especially name, email address phone number, postal address and likeness may be collected, processed, shared, and otherwise used for the purposes and within the context of the Sweepstakes and any other purposes outlined in these Official Rules. This information may also be used by the Sponsor in order to verify the entrant's identity or eligibility to participate in the Sweepstakes. Entrants have the right to access, review, rectify, or cancel any personally identifiable information held by Sponsor by writing to The Root, 95 Morton Street, 4th Floor, New York, NY 10014.
14. Winners List: To obtain a copy of the winner's name or a copy of these Official Rules, mail your request along with a stamped, self-addressed envelope to: The Root, 95 Morton Street, 4th Floor, New York, NY 10014. Requests must be received no later than March 15, 2015.