The St. Anthony, Minn., police officer who shot and killed Philando Castile earlier this year during a traffic stop will be facing manslaughter charges, NPR reports.
According to the report, Rasmey County Attorney John Choi has claimed that the use of force by Officer Jeronimo Yanez was not justified and that a review of dashcam footage revealed that "no reasonable officer" would have used deadly force.
"Philando Castile was not resisting or fleeing," Choi said at a press conference. "He had no criminal intent; he was respectful and complaint; he volunteered in good faith that he had a firearm."
Choi added that Castile provided more information than was required by law.
According to the New York Daily News, Yanez was charged Wednesday with second-degree manslaughter and two felony counts of dangerous discharge of a firearm in the July 6 shooting death. If convicted, Yanez could face up to 10 years in prison.
According to NPR, Choi did not release the dashcam video but said that in it, Castile turned over his driver's license and proof of insurance "calmly," while informing Yanez that he was also carrying a weapon. Yanez opened fire on Castile within a minute of stopping him.
The shooting death of Castile, a beloved cafeteria worker at the J.J. Hill Montessori Magnet School, prompted nationwide protests.