The head of the Justice Department’s National Security Division is stepping down next month to pursue a career in the private sector, the Washington Post reports.
John P. Carlin, 43, is the youngest and longest-serving head of the NSD. He oversaw the prosecution arising out of the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing, and his department initiated the first case combining charges of hacking and terrorism.
Carlin’s departure was announced Tuesday as NSD marks the 10th anniversary of its creation in the wake of the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks.
“Success could no longer be measured by successfully holding responsible those who committed such atrocities,” Carlin said at an anniversary event at the Center for Strategic and International Studies this month. “Success was preventing the attack in the first place.”
Carlin previously served as chief of staff to former FBI Director Robert S. Mueller. Carlin was named acting assistant attorney general in March 2013 and was confirmed in the spring of 2014.
“For the better part of two decades at the Department of Justice, John distinguished himself as a leader who skillfully used all the tools at his disposal to enhance our public safety and uphold our national security,” Attorney General Loretta E. Lynch said in a statement, according to the Post.
Carlin is leaving to pursue a job in the private sector. His last day is Oct. 15.
Read more at the Washington Post.