Monique Priester

The last time Georgia State University student Monique Priester spoke with her mother was Friday evening.

" 'Mom, I saw you called,' " the 21-year-old told her mother, Jacqueline VanLoo-Al Kush, in their last conversation around 6:15 p.m. Friday, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports. "'Everything OK?' I was like, 'Yeah. Where are you?' "

The 21-year-old told her mother that she was at the university's downtown Atlanta campus and was catching a shared Uber back to the family's Dacula home, according to Channel 2 Action News.

"It was cheaper to do a shared Uber," friend Darren Howard told the television station.


 VanLoo-Al Kush told WSB-TV that her daughter sounded normal during her last call. However, Priester never returned home, and her mother says that calls to her cellphone go directly to voicemail.

"I'm panicked. I'm hoping that she's safe," VanLoo-Al Kush told the news station.


According to WSB-TV, Uber said that in order to release information about Priester's ride and others who may have been in the car with her, VanLoo-Al Kush would need a subpoena. In a statement viewed by WSB-TV, the car service added, "We are working directly with local law enforcement to provide any assistance or information that could help them locate Ms. Priester and get her safely home."

Priester's family does not believe that she would just leave home, noting that she only had a backpack and a laptop with her.


"Don't be dismissive just because of her age," VanLoo-Al Kush told the news station. "Look at the entire circumstance."

Her mother told WSB-TV that there was an ATM withdrawal from her daughter's account made in Nashville, Tenn., that she has asked police to look into.


Priester's mother added that her daughter suffers from depression and anxiety, and VanLoo-Al Kush is hoping that anyone with information about her daughter's disappearance will contact her or authorities, WSB-TV reports.

Read more at the Atlanta Journal-Constitution and WSB-TV.