Sandy Thuy Le

A suspected drunk driver who was fleeing police at the South by Southwest festival in Austin, Texas, is now responsible for three deaths, after the third victim died from injuries she sustained after being run over, the Associated Press reports.

According to AP, Rashad Owens, 21, was fleeing police when he crashed through a barricade and drove his car into a crowd gathered at Austin's Red River entertainment district Thursday, killing two people at the scene and injuring 21 others.


Two people were initially listed in critical condition suffering from life-threatening head injuries.

Sandy Thuy Le, 26, died on Monday from injuries she sustained after she was struck outside the Mohawk music club, Austin police spokeswoman Veneza Bremner told AP.

Stuart Gates, Le's brother-in-law, told AP that she was surrounded by friends and family when she died Monday morning.


"She was super-intelligent, one of those types that never let college get in the way of her education," he said, adding that she had moved to Austin three years ago to finish her college degree. "She was a brilliant person, a wonderful personality and bubbly in a fun way, real outgoing. A live life to the fullest type."

Le's funeral is planned her hometown of Pass Christian, Miss., on Saturday. Gates said Le's family was praying and offering support to the family of the other critically injured victim, DeAndre Tatum.


AP notes that the victims who died Thursday were Steven Craenmehr, a 35-year-old Dutchman who was on a bicycle when he was struck, and 27-year-old Jamie West of Austin, who was riding on a moped when the car plowed into her.


Five of the 21 injured remain hospitalized Monday at University Medical Center, including two in serious condition, spokeswoman Kendra Clawson told AP. Two other victims remain hospitalized elsewhere.

Owens has been charged with capital murder and aggravated assault with a motor vehicle. He's accused of driving drunk and fleeing from police, then intentionally driving into the festivalgoers. Owen is jailed on $3 million bond, and prosecutors are expected to seek additional charges against him from a grand jury, AP reports.


Read more at the Associated Press.