My Family Reunion: Ideas for a Great Gathering
Move over, Madea. Cue the O'Jays. Don't panic. Here are some tips for making the event easy and memorable.
Fireworks at the Navy Pier? Fun at the world's largest food festival? There are tons of places to take your family in the Windy City.
Amusement parks aren't all this city has to offer. Stop by these fun places when you're in town for a family reunion.
There are plenty of free or low-cost family reunion activities to do in Atlanta, from movie-watching at the park to the Georgia Aquarium.
Remember when Tupac and Janet Jackson crashed that picnic in Poetic Justice? How about Martin and Gina's wedding? Watch some of the best family-reunion moments Hollywood has to offer.
Lauren's Red Velvet Cake
The Root's editorial staff is sharing our favorite recipes for summer family gatherings. It might sound crazy to start with dessert, but why not? Enjoy!
2 1/2 c cake flour
1 1/2 c sugar
1 1/2 c corn oil
1 teas vanilla
1 teas cocoa powder
1 teas baking soda
1 teas salt
1 teas vinegar
1 c buttermilk
1 oz bottle red food coloring
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Whisk eggs, sugar, corn oil, buttermilk, vinegar, vanilla and red food coloring into a large bowl.
3. Sift flour with salt, baking soda and cocoa powder. Mix dry ingredients with liquids until combined. Pour into two greased and floured cake pans.
4. Bake for 45 minutes.
5. Let completely cool, then frost with cream cheese icing.
Cream Cheese Icing
3 oz cream cheese (softened)
1/4 cup butter (softened)
1 teas vanilla
1 lb powdered sugar
Milk (little by little to make smooth)
1. With an electric mixer, whisk vanilla, cream cheese and butter until fluffy
2. Slowly add in powdered sugar, mixing on low until combined. If frosting needs more moisture, add in 1 teaspoon of milk at a time until it's the desired consistency.