by Cord Jefferson onJune 12, 2009
The gay community has every right to claim its place in the civil rights struggle. But there was a reason Martin Luther King Jr. and Bayard Rustin wore suits. In a politically important moment for the gay community, thongs and theatrics don’t cut it.
June 3, 2009
Amid turmoil post-Prop 8, some are less-than-impressed with the president's official proclamation in support of the LGBT community...
by Henry Louis Gates Jr. onFebruary 17, 2009
by Christopher Chambers onJanuary 16, 2009
Within the Capitol, the voices of black slaves and civil rights leaders past cannot be silenced. Best-selling author Christopher Chambers shows us how the African-American spirit lives on within the walls of this historic building, and leads us on the historic path to the Capitol steps that Obama will walk before taking his oath.
by Jamal Simmons onJanuary 7, 2009
It's time to pass on the torch.
by Marjorie Valbrun onNovember 21, 2008
Maybe it's time for Rev. Jesse Jackson and other black leaders of his generation to step back and let the new generation of black leaders take center stage. That's not to say older generation leaders should not be seen or heard from again. But black America needs to move forward.
by Marc Lamont Hill onNovember 12, 2008
Somebody forgot to tell gay people that race wars are no longer in vogue. While the rest of the country has spent the last week reveling in the afterglow of Grant Park
- Most Popular
- Most Shared
The singer constantly pushes the envelope with the pictures she shares, but is it all a gimmick?
Joshua Hornsby's daughter Ja'Nae, who was 9 years old, was among seven people found dead on Monday.
- SEE ALL VIEWS
Mixing Dad's advice with sound financial planning can help us regain stability.
Ask Demetria: A suddenly insecure boyfriend may mean that something's changed in your relationship.
You might find that attacks on his commencement speech -- a hit among graduates -- missed the mark.
The GOP's notion of "self-reliance" won't hold up after disaster hits one of the nation's poorest states.
The Root DC
- Axel F, D.C.’s classic soul party, to return to the Howard Theatre
- Why I chose to attend a historically black college- as a white person
- Historically black colleges are seeing an increase in white students
- Doing away with food deserts in the District
- State of Equality and Justice in America: The Presumption of Guilt
- Chief Keef Threatens To ‘Slap The Sh*t’ Out Of Katy Perry
- Morgan Freeman Goes To Sleep During TV Interview [VIDEO]
- 12-Year-Old Girl Hangs Herself After Being Cyberbullied By Classmates
- Gunman Shoots Up Strip Club With AK-47 After DJ Refuses To Play Song
- No Surprise: Some GOP Foaming At Mouth For Obama Impeachment Amid ‘Scandals’