When we heard about the skin-lightening app for the profile pictures of Indian Facebook users, it struck us as one of many examples of people adopting a look outside of their own ethnicity. Some feel pressure to conform to the dominant beauty standard; others just want to flout convention. Clearly, stars are prone to doing it.
Elin Woods is rumored to be getting $700 million or more from Tiger in her divorce settlement. That's a hefty chunk of change, especially in a recession! So you have to wonder: What if all that money went to more, uh, worthy causes? The Root takes a look at many woes that could be solved with a few hundred mil.
Every now and then a scandal comes along that makes you wonder what would happen if the circumstances were the same but the skin tone changed. The Root takes a look at a handful of brow-raising incidents and asks if race and privilege influenced the outcome.
It's still hard to believe that we lost Michael Jackson on June 25, 2009. As an ode to the late entertainer, we bring you images from celebrations of his life all over the world. Check back as we add more images.
- Most Popular
- Most Shared
A study measures which countries share the most information online, with surprising results.
Her Bowie State speech could hint at a change of heart in the White House.
The Chatterati Newsletter Sign Up
The Root DC
- Axel F, D.C.’s classic soul party, to return to the Howard Theatre
- Why I chose to attend a historically black college- as a white person
- Historically black colleges are seeing an increase in white students
- Doing away with food deserts in the District
- State of Equality and Justice in America: The Presumption of Guilt
- Precious Allen: Cincinnati Mother Accused Of Assaulting Daughter’s Classmate Sues School, Police
- Jay-Z On Beyonce Pregnancy Rumors: ‘It’s Not True’
- Huge Tornado Hits Oklahoma City Suburb, Kills 51
- Cali Doc Sentenced To 14 Years Prison Time Over Cancer Cure Scam
- Politicians Fume Over Bronx ‘Ghetto’ Bus Tours