The mother of a black Chicago teen who was gunned down by police last week has filed a lawsuit against the city and two officers, the Chicago Tribune reports.
The federal wrongful death lawsuit, which was filed Wednesday by Tambrasha Hudson, claims that 16-year-old Pierre Loury "presented no threat" as he was being chased by officers April 11 and that Chicago police shot "without lawful justification," as well as conspired with one another to give "false, misleading and incomplete versions" of what happened to make it look as if officers were in danger. The lawsuit also cites an April 13 report from a mayoral task force that slammed Chicago police for having "no regard for the sanctity of life when it comes to people of color."
"This 16-year-old lost his young life because of the unreasonable and lethal use of force," attorney Andrew Stroth, who is representing Pierre's family, said. "These situations continue to happen."
Police have said that the teen ran away from a car suspected of being involved in another shooting and that an officer only shot the teen after he allegedly turned and pointed a gun. A semi-automatic weapon was recovered from the scene, First Deputy Superintendent John Escalante said, according to the Tribune.
Escalante described Pierre as a person with "prior contact" with police, a person officers considered to be a documented gang member. Pierre, the lawsuit notes, was shot while trying to climb a fence and succumbed to a gunshot wound to the chest.
Read more at the Chicago Tribune.