February 21, 2012
Blogging the Beltway: As Obama lauds the tax-cut extension, some black lawmakers say it came at a terrible cost.
January 17, 2012
Blogging the Beltway: Candidates talk black poverty, voting rights and the "food stamp president."
by Nsenga Burton onDecember 7, 2011
Protesters want unemployment benefits to be extended.
by Lynette Holloway onNovember 27, 2011
'Where do we stop?" the GOP presidential hopeful asked during an interview on CNN.
September 9, 2011
In a rousing speech, the president offered both old and new ideas for jobs. Now comes the hard part.
February 22, 2011
A new bill co-sponsored by Rep. Bobby Scott hopes to put long-term unemployment assistance back on the political map -- but at what point should unemployment benefits just expire?
by Nsenga Burton onNovember 19, 2010
The impact of long-term unemployment on the mind, body and soul far exceeds the impact on the wallet.
July 22, 2010
The extension of jobless benefits has cleared the Senate. Will it clear the House?
July 20, 2010
Democrats try to end a Republican filibuster and give jobless Americans some relief.
July 19, 2010
The president calls out Republicans for holding unemployed Americans hostage over benefits.
- Most Popular
- Most Shared
A tech-marketing firm invites a new hire to join their team using social media.
Recent film exposes journalists' guilt. Plus: The Root's valued leader resigns.
The Chatterati Newsletter Sign Up
The Root DC
- Twitter Decides: Miguel Wins Billboard Awards With Fan Drop Kick! [VIDEO]
- Va. GOP Candidate: Planned Parenthood Worse Than KKK, Civil Rights Leaders Guilty Of Genocide
- Obama Morehouse Speech: President Talks Racism, Choices & ‘Excuses’ At 2013 Commencement [VIDEO]
- Authorities: Hofstra Student Was Killed By Police [VIDEO]
- Happy Birthday, El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz (Malcolm X)