September 12, 2011
For Better of Worse airs this fall. Will you be watching?
August 12, 2011
This week on the Confab: Join Associate Editor Lauren Williams as she chats with Washington Reporter Cynthia Gordy and Senior Editor Teresa Wiltz about the nation's credit rating, The Help and Tyler Perry's latest venture.
August 10, 2011
Lionsgate thinks he has the star power to carry an entire channel. Do you?
by Akoto Ofori-Atta onJuly 7, 2011
Her wildly controversial novel, Push, became an Oscar-nominated movie. She talks to The Root about her new novel, why the New York Times is wrong and why she killed Precious.
by Nsenga K. Burton, Ph.D. onMay 29, 2011
Very few folks have the power to green-light a picture in Hollywood. None of them are black. But these power players are finding a way to make films on their own terms.
by Clay Cane onApril 25, 2011
With yet another lucrative opening weekend under his belt, Tyler Perry should celebrate the positive and learn that criticism from fellow blacks and fellow directors -- namely, Spike Lee -- is just a part of the game.
by Hayat Mohamed onApril 20, 2011
The director loses his cool during a press conference.
by Helena Andrews onApril 7, 2011
Back in the day, Love Jones was the ultimate in black romantic-comedy fare. But that was then; this is now. At the multiplex, no rom-com -- whether it stars a Reese or a Gabrielle -- can hold a candle to those old-school love stories.
March 22, 2011
A slide show breaks down the scope of his influence but won’t change anyone's mind about the value of his work.
by John McWhorter onMarch 8, 2011
Enough with the talk about Tyler Perry perpetuating racial stereotypes. How is what he's doing any different from the much loved Sanford and Son? There's a reason the man sells out at the box office. It's called commercial entertainment.
- Most Popular
- Most Shared
Social media emerges as a vehicle for love and support during natural disasters.
The agency's missteps give the GOP a new way to fight the Affordable Care Act.
The Chatterati Newsletter Sign Up
The Root DC
- Axel F, D.C.’s classic soul party, to return to the Howard Theatre
- Why I chose to attend a historically black college- as a white person
- Historically black colleges are seeing an increase in white students
- Doing away with food deserts in the District
- State of Equality and Justice in America: The Presumption of Guilt
- Activists Cornel West And Carl Dix Hold Mass Incarceration Dialogue In N.Y.C.
- Detroit Mom Says 4 Women Attacked Her In Front Of Her Children
- 9-Year-Old Girl Among Children Missing After Oklahoma Tornado
- Christopher ‘Notorious B.I.G.’ Wallace Would Have Been 41 Today
- Teens Allegedly Post Taped Rape Of 12-Year-Old Girl On Facebook