March 24, 2010
But here's why Ntozake Shange's choreopoem deserves a better director.
November 13, 2009
This week on The Confab: The humanity of Precious and Hollywood's same, tired treatment of color. Plus, the reality of Ft. Hood and the D.C. sniper's execution. Why should the Muslim community have to answer for Muslim terrorists? Join The Root's Associate Editor Natalie Hopkinson as she talks with senior culture writer Teresa Wiltz and contributors to The Root, Stanley Crouch and Adam Serwer.
* Podcast production by Abdullah Rufus.
* Podcast theme music by Timothy Morrison.
by Stanley Crouch onNovember 9, 2009
Even with Oscar buzz and record-breaking box office success, “Precious” isn’t likely to blow up the careers of its female stars. Black actresses still have a hard row to hoe. Just ask Angela Bassett—and Cicely Tyson.
October 7, 2009
The filmmaker and co-poducer of 'Precious' reveals physical and emotional abuse from his childhood...
- Most Popular
- Most Shared
A recent study shows that Facebook is being abandoned in large numbers.
His Morehouse gradation speech reignited the debate over his posture toward blacks.
The Chatterati Newsletter Sign Up
The Root DC
- Axel F, D.C.’s classic soul party, to return to the Howard Theatre
- Why I chose to attend a historically black college- as a white person
- Historically black colleges are seeing an increase in white students
- Doing away with food deserts in the District
- State of Equality and Justice in America: The Presumption of Guilt
- 4 Americans Killed Since 2009 In US Drone Strikes
- Pope Francis: God Redeems Atheists For ‘Good Works,’ Christians Must Accept Non-Believers
- Funeral Program For Malcolm Shabazz Released
- Man Brutally Murdered In London, Possible Terror Attack
- Bill Cosby Becomes 1st Black Emmy Award Winner On This Day In 1966