by Lynette Holloway onOctober 13, 2011
More than one-third of Americans now oppose the death penalty -- the highest level in nearly 40 years.
by Nsenga Burton onOctober 3, 2011
The man many believed to be innocent is laid to rest.
by Lynette Holloway onOctober 1, 2011
A memorial was held for the death row inmate who was put to death in Georgia on Sept. 21.
by Leonard Pitts Jr. onSeptember 26, 2011
Miami Herald columnist Leonard Pitts Jr. lists the names of some death row inmates who were exonerated, including one posthumously.
by Eugene Kane onSeptember 26, 2011
Troy Davis' execution may prompt calls for a repeal of a state ban on the death penalty, writes Eugene Kane of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
by Lynne K. Varner onSeptember 25, 2011
Troy Davis' death only strengthens calls to abolish the death penalty, writes Seattle Times opinion writer Lynne K. Varner.
by Annette John-Hall onSeptember 24, 2011
Punishment by death isn't justice -- it's revenge, writes Philadelphia Inquirer columnist Annette John-Hall.
by Joel Dreyfuss onSeptember 22, 2011
It wasn't racial solidarity but racial vulnerability that made him so important to African Americans.
by Jenée Desmond-Harris onSeptember 21, 2011
Widely believed to have been wrongly convicted, he maintained his innocence to the very end.
by Joel Dreyfuss onSeptember 21, 2011
The Rev. Raphael Warnock of Ebenezer Baptist Church says the case is in blatant contradiction to American ideals.
- Most Popular
- Most Shared
The singer constantly pushes the envelope with the pictures she shares, but is it all a gimmick?
Joshua Hornsby's daughter Ja'Nae, who was 9 years old, was among seven people found dead on Monday.
The Chatterati Newsletter Sign Up
The Root DC
- Axel F, D.C.’s classic soul party, to return to the Howard Theatre
- Why I chose to attend a historically black college- as a white person
- Historically black colleges are seeing an increase in white students
- Doing away with food deserts in the District
- State of Equality and Justice in America: The Presumption of Guilt
- Chief Keef Threatens To ‘Slap The Sh*t’ Out Of Katy Perry
- Morgan Freeman Goes To Sleep During TV Interview [VIDEO]
- 12-Year-Old Girl Hangs Herself After Being Cyberbullied By Classmates
- Gunman Shoots Up Strip Club With AK-47 After DJ Refuses To Play Song
- No Surprise: Some GOP Foaming At Mouth For Obama Impeachment Amid ‘Scandals’