by Jenée Desmond-Harris onJune 13, 2011
Nikki James takes home the best featured actress award for The Book of Mormon, and more.
June 9, 2011
Over the years, "the Great White Way" has awarded Tonys to some 70 African Americans, from George C. Wolfe to August Wilson to the latest, Nikki James. Here, a look at some of the actors who've taken home the trophy.
by Lauren Williams onMay 3, 2011
The Scottsboro Boys, based on the tragic Scottsboro trial, received 12 nominations.
by Valerie Gladstone onNovember 12, 2010
Garth Fagan has won awards for his thrilling choreography and has entertained audiences for decades. He talked to The Root about his latest work, what inspires him and more.
by Les Payne onJune 28, 2010
Yes, James Earl Jones deserved his Tony for his role in Fences. But 23 years later, Washington brings a nuance and a subtlety to the role of Troy Maxson that we’ve never seen before.
by E.R. Shipp onJune 11, 2010
From Fela! to Fences, several productions featuring black performers are nominated for a record number of Tony Awards. But notwithstanding the power of Denzel, most Broadway audiences are overwhelmingly white.
- Most Popular
- Most Shared
A tech-marketing firm invites a new hire to join their team using social media.
Recent film exposes journalists' guilt. Plus: The Root's valued leader resigns.
The Chatterati Newsletter Sign Up
The Root DC
- Twitter Decides: Miguel Wins Billboard Awards With Fan Drop Kick! [VIDEO]
- Va. GOP Candidate: Planned Parenthood Worse Than KKK, Civil Rights Leaders Guilty Of Genocide
- Obama Morehouse Speech: President Talks Racism, Choices & ‘Excuses’ At 2013 Commencement [VIDEO]
- Authorities: Hofstra Student Was Killed By Police [VIDEO]
- Happy Birthday, El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz (Malcolm X)