by Lauren Williams onJanuary 5, 2011
There are several candidates on the short list -- but which one is best for the job?
October 8, 2010
E-mails released Friday morning confirm unequivocally that White House officials praised USDA executives for their swift firing of Shirley Sherrod.
August 3, 2010
If the BFAA actually believes that Vilsack acted alone in firing Sherrod—despite the fact that Sherrod herself has said the order came from higher up—then they’re showing naïveté unbecoming of serious political organization.
July 29, 2010
Ousted USDA employee plans to sue conservative blogger who besmirched her name.
by David Swerdlick onJuly 26, 2010
Five people who did the right thing during l'affaire Sherrod.
July 22, 2010
The firing of Agriculture Department staffer Shirley Sherrod — over racial remarks that were taken out of context — raises judgment questions not only about the Obama administration and the NAACP, whose president is a former journalist, but about the news media.
by Joel Dreyfuss onJuly 21, 2010
For right-wingers who seek to prove that black people are angry and racist, the now-famous videotape seemed like a dream come true. Unfortunately, the news media pretended it was journalism.
July 21, 2010
Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack, who fired USDA employee Shirley Sherrod on Monday after being duped into believing she gave a racist speech, apologized for his actions and said that he’s offered a new position to Sherrod.
by Terence Samuel onJuly 20, 2010
by Frank McCoy onFebruary 22, 2010
Yes, the USDA just signed a $1.25 billion discrimination settlement with thousands of black farmers. But those farmers won’t be holding their breath while they wait for the check to clear.
- Most Popular
- Most Shared
Social media emerges as a vehicle for love and support during natural disasters.
The agency's missteps give the GOP a new way to fight the Affordable Care Act.
The Chatterati Newsletter Sign Up
The Root DC
- Axel F, D.C.’s classic soul party, to return to the Howard Theatre
- Why I chose to attend a historically black college- as a white person
- Historically black colleges are seeing an increase in white students
- Doing away with food deserts in the District
- State of Equality and Justice in America: The Presumption of Guilt
- Activists Cornel West And Carl Dix Hold Mass Incarceration Dialogue In N.Y.C.
- Detroit Mom Says 4 Women Attacked Her In Front Of Her Children
- 9-Year-Old Girl Among Children Missing After Oklahoma Tornado
- Christopher ‘Notorious B.I.G.’ Wallace Would Have Been 41 Today
- Teens Allegedly Post Taped Rape Of 12-Year-Old Girl On Facebook