by Paul Devlin onDecember 27, 2010
From the Fugees to DJ Lovebug Starski, Teena Marie, aka Lady T, made soulful music that influenced an entire generation of hip-hop.
by Nsenga Burton onDecember 30, 2010
The 'Vanilla Child' will be cremated, and funeral services will be for close family and friends.
December 30, 2010
This week on the Confab: Join The Root's associate editor, Lauren Williams, as she chats with Editor-at-Large Nsenga Burton and contributors Paul Devlin and Deron Snyder about the legacy of Teena Marie, 2010 stories that flew under the radar and Barack Obama's thoughts on Michael Vick.
December 27, 2010
Starting in the late 1970s, singer-songwriter Teena Marie turned out memorable hit after hit. Widely considered to be one of the great voices of her generation, she was the first white performer signed to Motown. To celebrate her life, we put together a list of our favorite Lady T videos.
by Nsenga Burton onDecember 26, 2010
The "Vanilla Child" passes away at 54.
- Most Popular
- Most Shared
Sergio Garcia's insulting comment to Tiger Woods sparks a conversation on Twitter.
His Morehouse gradation speech reignited the debate over his posture toward blacks.
The Chatterati Newsletter Sign Up
The Root DC
- Axel F, D.C.’s classic soul party, to return to the Howard Theatre
- Why I chose to attend a historically black college- as a white person
- Historically black colleges are seeing an increase in white students
- Doing away with food deserts in the District
- State of Equality and Justice in America: The Presumption of Guilt
- Black Conspiracy Theory 101: Did The White Author Of ‘Black Like Me’ Die From Skin-Darkening?
- Golfer Makes Fried Chicken Joke About Tiger Woods
- NBA’s Kevin Durant Donates $1 Million To Oklahoma Tornado Relief
- Man Sets Up Cameras In House To Find Ghosts, Catches Girlfriend Sexing Son
- Ga. Woman Allegedly Stabs Step-Dad Multiple Times