by Lawrence D. Bobo onJanuary 9, 2013
Straight Up: 'Django Unchained' trashes the soft-pedaled depiction that American cinema has embraced.
by Lawrence D. Bobo onDecember 30, 2012
From Obama's debates to a Spike Lee joint, these achievements made this year memorable.
by Hillary Crosley onDecember 25, 2012
Quentin Tarantino's brutal film may center on a superhero slave, but any deeper meaning is arguable.
by Stacy-Ann Ellis onDecember 24, 2012
The Red Hook Summer director shared his negative opinion of the new Quentin Tarantino movie with Vibe TV.
by Brett Johnson onDecember 21, 2012
The film's star says he channeled New Jack City's gangster Nino Brown in the slave-hero epic.
by Stacy-Ann Ellis onDecember 14, 2012
The Root Recommends: Rik Cordero and Spike Lee's documentary on guts, glory and New York-style hoops.
by Jenée Desmond-Harris onNovember 26, 2012
If you watched football instead of Bad: 25 on Thanksgiving, you're not alone. But critics loved the film.
November 23, 2012
The film director's documentary on the late King of Pop aired Thanksgiving night on ABC.
by Miki Turner onNovember 17, 2012
From Denzel's Oscar-worthy turn to the colorful zoot suits, we recall the biopic 20 years later.
by Miki Turner onOctober 31, 2012
The Oscar winner says his new movie is a complex adventure. Plus: He recalls 20-year-old Malcolm X.
- Most Popular
- Most Shared
A recent study shows that Facebook is being abandoned in large numbers.
His Morehouse gradation speech reignited the debate over his posture toward blacks.
The Chatterati Newsletter Sign Up
The Root DC
- Axel F, D.C.’s classic soul party, to return to the Howard Theatre
- Why I chose to attend a historically black college- as a white person
- Historically black colleges are seeing an increase in white students
- Doing away with food deserts in the District
- State of Equality and Justice in America: The Presumption of Guilt
- Cleveland Eateries Promise Charles Ramsey Free Burgers For Life
- 4 Americans Killed Since 2009 In US Drone Strikes
- Pope Francis: God Redeems Atheists For ‘Good Works,’ Christians Must Accept Non-Believers
- Funeral Program For Malcolm Shabazz Released
- Man Brutally Murdered In London, Possible Terror Attack