June 23, 2010
State Department acknowledges that people continue to be bought and sold as property, even today.
by Erin E. Evans onJune 17, 2010
Gen Y seems less than enthused about the day that slaves in Texas found out they were free. How will Black Independence Day fare in 2050?
June 15, 2010
Slavery hasn’t taken the World Cup from me; indeed, I still get to revel in the bulk of the happiness the tournament provides. But what I don’t get to do is celebrate it the way many of my friends celebrate it.
May 6, 2010
Ransby feels Dr. Gates' position "clouds rather than clarifies" American history.
by Stanley Crouch onApril 26, 2010
The Harvard professor's hard facts on slavery are a blow to the "victim studies" hustle.
by Jack White onApril 26, 2010
Even if everyone accepts responsibility for the slave trade, don't expect to see any money.
by Henry Louis Gates Jr. onApril 23, 2010
August 26, 2009
Quentin Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds provide sweet and hilarious revenge to Jews during the Holocaust. When will somebody greenlight a flick where slaves beat master's ol' butt?
by Rachel L. Swarns onAugust 17, 2009
Paul Jennings was a slave in James Madison's White House, and became the first person to put his recollections of it into a memoir.
July 11, 2009
Barack Obama rounded out his trip abroad with a stop in Accra, Ghana, where he spoke to the nation's parliament and paid a visit to a maternal health clinic in Accra, before finishing up with a moving visit to Ghana's Cape Coast Castle—the point of no return for thousands upon thousands of black Africans sold into slavery...
- Most Popular
- Most Shared
A study measures which countries share the most information online, with surprising results.
Her Bowie State speech could hint at a change of heart in the White House.
The Chatterati Newsletter Sign Up
The Root DC
- Axel F, D.C.’s classic soul party, to return to the Howard Theatre
- Why I chose to attend a historically black college- as a white person
- Historically black colleges are seeing an increase in white students
- Doing away with food deserts in the District
- State of Equality and Justice in America: The Presumption of Guilt
- Precious Allen: Cincinnati Mother Accused Of Assaulting Daughter’s Classmate Sues School, Police
- Jay-Z On Beyonce Pregnancy Rumors: ‘It’s Not True’
- Huge Tornado Hits Oklahoma City Suburb, Kills 51
- Cali Doc Sentenced To 14 Years Prison Time Over Cancer Cure Scam
- Politicians Fume Over Bronx ‘Ghetto’ Bus Tours