by Edward Wyckoff Williams onAugust 7, 2012
We seem to live in a bizarre universe where violence against unarmed black men is OK.
by Joel Dreyfuss onApril 2, 2012
The Trayvon Martin case reminds minorities that submitting to second-class status has not worked.
by Jenée Desmond-Harris onMarch 28, 2012
These 17 sad stories prove that it's nothing new for a black man without a weapon to be killed.
by Ta-Nehisi Coates onOctober 29, 2011
A jail sentence may not be the answer for Sean Bell's killers, Ta-Nehisi Coates writes at his Atlantic magazine blog; firing them is a far better way to avoid future catastrophic mistakes.
by Nsenga Burton onSeptember 3, 2010
The New York Daily News is reporting that Nicole Paultre-Bell may be turning to politics.
July 29, 2010
New York City finally does the right thing.
June 30, 2010
NYC police officer involved in Bell's fatal shooting sues dead man's estate.
July 21, 2009
Is there a difference between Barack Obama's talk on race before and after election? John McWhorter talks Sonia Sotomayor, political organizing, the Philadelphia pool incident and the "Joshua Generation."
by Glenn Minnis onJanuary 6, 2009
The aftermath of a stunning decision in the Sean Bell case.
by Kevin Powell onJanuary 5, 2009
What I didn't have the heart to tell Mrs. Bell after her son's murder.
- Most Popular
- Most Shared
His Morehouse gradation speech reignited the debate over his posture toward blacks.
The "no shame in my game" judge gets put on trial for misconduct.
The Chatterati Newsletter Sign Up
The Root DC
- Axel F, D.C.’s classic soul party, to return to the Howard Theatre
- Why I chose to attend a historically black college- as a white person
- Historically black colleges are seeing an increase in white students
- Doing away with food deserts in the District
- State of Equality and Justice in America: The Presumption of Guilt
- Ga. Woman Allegedly Stabs Stepdad Multiple Times
- Homeless Teen Graduates At Top Of Her High School Class
- Panel: Apple Uses Firms Outside U.S. To Avoid Taxes
- Chokwe Lumumba: Former Lawyer For Tupac & Assata Shakur Wins Jackson, Miss. Mayoral Primary Race
- Teachers Credited With Saving Students In Okla.