April 20, 2013
New York openly practices it, but in what other areas are racially skewed police stops an issue?
January 20, 2013
New York's governor spoke to Al Sharpton's National Action Network about gun reform.
December 23, 2012
Following the tragedy at Sandy Hook, the civil rights leader has promised a protest for gun control.
by Celeste Little onOctober 17, 2012
The Root Recommends: A BET documentary that examines the chances of a two-term black president.
by Brett Johnson onJune 17, 2012
The Root talked to those who protested the controversial police practice as they walked in New York.
by Brett Johnson onJune 14, 2012
The son of a retired cop compares his dad's take on the police tactic with his own perspective.
February 18, 2012
Family, friends, fans, exes and stars came out Saturday, Feb. 18, to pay their final respects.
by The Rev. Al Sharpton onOctober 28, 2011
Elected officials and leaders must hold gun buy-back programs, among other things, to help rid the streets of dangerous weapons, the Rev. Al Sharpton writes in a blog entry at the Huffington Post.
by The Rev. Al Sharpton onOctober 10, 2011
He inspired a movement for change that serves as a model for today's civil rights leaders, blogs the Rev. Al Sharpton at the Huffington Post.
by Lynette Holloway onSeptember 22, 2011
Let's make sure there are no more Troy Davises, he said.
- Most Popular
- Most Shared
The Chatterati Newsletter Sign Up
The Root DC
- Axel F, D.C.’s classic soul party, to return to the Howard Theatre
- Why I chose to attend a historically black college- as a white person
- Historically black colleges are seeing an increase in white students
- Doing away with food deserts in the District
- State of Equality and Justice in America: The Presumption of Guilt
- Porsha Stewart Locked Out By Husband Kordell?
- Activists Cornel West And Carl Dix Hold Mass Incarceration Dialogue In N.Y.C.
- Detroit Mom Says 4 Women Attacked Her In Front Of Her Children
- UPDATE: 9-Year-Old Girl Who Went Missing After Oklahoma Tornado Found Dead
- Christopher ‘Notorious B.I.G.’ Wallace Would Have Been 41 Today