by Joshua R. Weaver onJune 15, 2011
Sapphire's newest book is a compelling sequel to her best-selling novel Push.
by Nsenga Burton onNovember 12, 2010
Sapphire (government name: Ramona Lofton) sells the The Kid to Penguin Press.
November 12, 2009
This summer, I had the privilege of teaching journalism to a girl I doubt I will ever forget. I was struck by her confidence and vibrant personality. But she refused to do her work. It was not until she broke down and told me her biggest struggles that I understood why. As a high school senior, she was reading and writing at a 9th grade level. Somewhere down the road something went very wrong with her education. I think it began at home.
November 12, 2009
Lee Daniels' film? Brilliant. The Oprah-fied pitch? Not so much.
by Jada F. Smith onNovember 11, 2009
When it comes to colorism, “Precious” is still the same old, same old.
November 6, 2009
Lisa Cortés, an executive producer of Precious, talks about the representation of black women in film, healing, and the work of Octavia Butler.
- Most Popular
- Most Shared
Sergio Garcia's insulting comment to Tiger Woods sparks a conversation on Twitter.
His Morehouse gradation speech reignited the debate over his posture toward blacks.
The Chatterati Newsletter Sign Up
The Root DC
- Axel F, D.C.’s classic soul party, to return to the Howard Theatre
- Why I chose to attend a historically black college- as a white person
- Historically black colleges are seeing an increase in white students
- Doing away with food deserts in the District
- State of Equality and Justice in America: The Presumption of Guilt
- Ga. Woman Allegedly Stabs Stepdad Multiple Times
- Homeless Teen Graduates At Top Of Her High School Class
- Panel: Apple Uses Firms Outside U.S. To Avoid Taxes
- Chokwe Lumumba: Former Lawyer For Tupac & Assata Shakur Wins Jackson, Miss. Mayoral Primary Race
- Teachers Credited With Saving Students In Okla.