November 11, 2012
In an interview, the professor pulled no punches regarding the president's priorities.
September 9, 2012
Louisiana has become the prison capital of the world, but are inmates being rehabilitated?
June 15, 2012
For Juneteenth, The Root investigates the blurred line of emancipation in America.
by Nsenga Burton onMarch 30, 2011
Ohio State law professor and scholar Michelle Alexander highlights the dire circumstances surrounding the number of black men going to prison.
by Nsenga Burton onMarch 29, 2011
The Florida Senate slips language into its newly proposed budget that seeks to give corporations the chance to run correctional facilities and probation services.
by Sherrilyn A. Ifill onNovember 29, 2010
Our nation's love affair with incarceration continues. In a case before the Supreme Court, California Gov. Schwarzenegger is arguing that judges have no right to tell states to reduce their prison populations.
May 21, 2010
What lurks behind bars?
- Most Popular
- Most Shared
His Morehouse gradation speech reignited the debate over his posture toward blacks.
The "no shame in my game" judge gets put on trial for misconduct.
The Chatterati Newsletter Sign Up
The Root DC
- Axel F, D.C.’s classic soul party, to return to the Howard Theatre
- Why I chose to attend a historically black college- as a white person
- Historically black colleges are seeing an increase in white students
- Doing away with food deserts in the District
- State of Equality and Justice in America: The Presumption of Guilt
- Teachers Credited With Saving Students In Okla.
- Chief Keef Arrested On Weed Possession Charge
- GOP Strategist Raynard Jackson Challenges President Obama, ‘Black Elite’ [OPINION]
- Porsha Stewart Locked Out By Husband Kordell?
- Activists Cornel West And Carl Dix Hold Mass Incarceration Dialogue In N.Y.C.