by Hillary Crosley onMarch 13, 2013
From Sojourner Truth to Melissa Harris-Perry, they've opened doors and shaped how we see ourselves.
by Celeste Little onNovember 28, 2012
The Root Recommends: A moving tribute album to the late jazz singer's "sovereign soul."
by Lynette Holloway onAugust 23, 2012
In today's link roundup: Nina Simone's daughter discusses a controversial biopic about her mother. Plus: Rodney King Jr. had drugs and alcohol in his system.
by Salamishah Tillet onJuly 5, 2012
In a piece for NPR, Salamishah Tillet reflects on the singer's legacy and concludes that her aspirations for this country still haven't been achieved.
by Abdul Ali onNovember 18, 2011
The singer, who's back with a sequel to her My Life album, has come a long way from Yonkers, N.Y.
September 29, 2010
During Obama's 2008 presidential run, Stevie Wonder's "Signed, Sealed, Delivered I'm Yours" was frequently heard on the campaign trail, so it's no surprise that Wonder's music made it onto Obama's iPod. But what songs should provide the soundtrack to Obama's presidency now?
by Rashod D. Ollison onMarch 2, 2010
A new book offers an incomplete map of a complex and tortured artist.
by John Murph onDecember 16, 2008
A new multimedia box set lets fan savor Nina Simone's trademark blend of bruised beauty and triumphant defiance.
- Most Popular
- Most Shared
His Morehouse gradation speech reignited the debate over his posture toward blacks.
The "no shame in my game" judge gets put on trial for misconduct.
The Chatterati Newsletter Sign Up
The Root DC
- Axel F, D.C.’s classic soul party, to return to the Howard Theatre
- Why I chose to attend a historically black college- as a white person
- Historically black colleges are seeing an increase in white students
- Doing away with food deserts in the District
- State of Equality and Justice in America: The Presumption of Guilt
- Panel: Apple Uses Firms Outside U.S. To Avoid Taxes
- Chokwe Lumumba: Former Lawyer For Tupac & Assata Shakur Wins Jackson, Miss. Mayoral Primary Race
- Teachers Credited With Saving Students In Okla.
- Chief Keef Arrested On Weed Possession Charge
- GOP Strategist Raynard Jackson Challenges President Obama, ‘Black Elite’ [OPINION]