by Damon Young onMarch 30, 2013
While the nation is fully engulfed in March Madness, Damon Young writes in a piece for Ebony that he's been reminded of why college hoops could never replace pro basketball.
by Aisha I. Jefferson onNovember 12, 2012
With changes in its NCAA conference and student-health issues, the reasons to ditch sports were clear.
July 18, 2012
President Obama will welcome the 2012 NCAA women's hoops champion Baylor Bears to the White House.
by Derrick Z. Jackson onDecember 19, 2011
The news that no teams would be disqualified under new NCAA regulations is tempered by racial gaps in teams' graduation rates, Derrick Z. Jackson writes in his Boston Globe column.
May 27, 2011
HBCU athletic teams are disproportionately sanctioned for poor academic performance. What gives?
by Nsenga Burton onMay 19, 2011
Power brokers weigh in on the debate about paying student athletes.
March 17, 2011
U.S. Education Secretary Arne Duncan says it's time the NCAA stopped rewarding teams that fail to meet basic academic standards off the court.
March 27, 2010
Some black lawmakers are wrong for suggesting Gamecock recruits turn the school down because its Board is all-white.
by Martin Johnson onJanuary 30, 2010
More African-African coaches are winning top-tier college jobs, although the NFL is far ahead.
December 17, 2009
It’s disingenuous to act like all student-athletes are created equal. There’s a reason why top top-tier men’s basketball and football athletes languish at the bottom of the NCAA graduation rates. College isn’t for everyone.
- Most Popular
- Most Shared
Sergio Garcia's insulting comment to Tiger Woods sparks a conversation on Twitter.
His Morehouse gradation speech reignited the debate over his posture toward blacks.
The Chatterati Newsletter Sign Up
The Root DC
- Axel F, D.C.’s classic soul party, to return to the Howard Theatre
- Why I chose to attend a historically black college- as a white person
- Historically black colleges are seeing an increase in white students
- Doing away with food deserts in the District
- State of Equality and Justice in America: The Presumption of Guilt
- Black Conspiracy Theory 101: Did The White Author Of ‘Black Like Me’ Die From Skin-Darkening?
- Golfer Makes Fried Chicken Joke About Tiger Woods
- NBA’s Kevin Durant Donates $1 Million To Oklahoma Tornado Relief
- Man Sets Up Cameras In House To Find Ghosts, Catches Girlfriend Sexing Son
- Ga. Woman Allegedly Stabs Step-Dad Multiple Times