November 28, 2012
Check out vintage shots of Marvin Gaye, Eartha Kitt and more in this sneak peek from the photo archive.
by Miles Marshall Lewis onAugust 21, 2012
From James Brown to Chris Brown, celebs' sins force fans to either support or reject their heroes.
by Brett Johnson onAugust 6, 2012
From Tupac to Lena Horne, these beloved pop stars should get the big-screen treatment.
by Hillary Crosley onJune 30, 2012
A stamp commemorating the jazz great's career has been unveiled.
by Claudio E. Cabrera onJanuary 28, 2012
The legendary jazz musician will be honored along with French singer Edith Piaf.
August 27, 2011
From Billy Eckstine's collars to Dizzy Gillespie's berets, these musicians influenced fashion.
by Dr. Todd Boyd onJuly 30, 2010
In short, Miles Davis was the personification of cool. Don Draper, not so much. The Notorious Ph.D. breaks it down for us.
by Martin Johnson onMarch 8, 2010
At 80, the very active jazz legend is still breaking ground.
February 28, 2010
The men's mag waves goodbye to Black History Month with a roundup of the most stylish black men of the past.
by Joel Dreyfuss onDecember 31, 2009
A Paris show illuminates the life and music of the great jazz musician.
- Most Popular
- Most Shared
Will Eric Holder consult journalists of color during the Justice Department's review?
These tweets will make you laugh -- and question the American educational system.
The Chatterati Newsletter Sign Up
The Root DC
- Being The Change: Philadelphia Grandmother Earns Culinary Degree, Credits Obama With Motivation
- Parents Talk Leaving Chicago In Wake Of Mass School Closings
- Georgia Shoplifting Mom Runs Over 4-Year-Old Son, Child In Critical Condition
- D’aja Robinson: Suspect Questioned, Released In Shooting Death Of Queens, N.Y. Teen
- Ex-Bush Senior Adviser’s Son Accused Of Killing Man With Hatchet [VIDEO]