by Nsenga K. Burton, Ph.D. onApril 7, 2012
Don't believe the hype surrounding the rapper's role in hip-hop history.
by Abdul Ali onNovember 21, 2011
A look at the legends who shaped the culture.
by Akoto Ofori-Atta onMarch 18, 2011
Joan Morgan coined the phrase back in 1999, but what does hip-hop feminism look like today? Is it Queen Latifah? Nicki Minaj? Or the 10-year-old girl calling out Lil Wayne?
by Kai Wright onMarch 4, 2009
What does the legendary soprano Jessye Norman have in common with the Human Beat Box Doug E. Fresh? A monthlong festival of black musical excellence says it’s all about honor!
- Most Popular
- Most Shared
His Morehouse gradation speech reignited the debate over his posture toward blacks.
The "no shame in my game" judge gets put on trial for misconduct.
The Chatterati Newsletter Sign Up
The Root DC
- Axel F, D.C.’s classic soul party, to return to the Howard Theatre
- Why I chose to attend a historically black college- as a white person
- Historically black colleges are seeing an increase in white students
- Doing away with food deserts in the District
- State of Equality and Justice in America: The Presumption of Guilt
- Ga. Woman Allegedly Stabs Stepdad Multiple Times
- Homeless Teen Graduates At Top Of Her High School Class
- Panel: Apple Uses Firms Outside U.S. To Avoid Taxes
- Chokwe Lumumba: Former Lawyer For Tupac & Assata Shakur Wins Jackson, Miss. Mayoral Primary Race
- Teachers Credited With Saving Students In Okla.