by Dexter Gabriel onJanuary 13, 2013
On Colorlines, Dexter Gabriel argues that works like Django and Roots are more about how contemporary culture sees itself, rather than history.
by Brett Johnson onDecember 27, 2012
From Roots to Django Unchained, here are the best and worst attempts at depicting our shackled past.
by Jelani Cobb onFebruary 13, 2009
Presidents Day was once a rude interruption to Black History Month, a reminder of whose terms we were on. This Presidents Day I find myself celebrating.
by Kai Wright onJanuary 8, 2009
It's easy to criticize "nutty" progressives for questioning Obama's choices. But Lincoln could never have become the Great Emancipator without dissenters forcing his hand.
- Most Popular
- Most Shared
His Morehouse gradation speech reignited the debate over his posture toward blacks.
The "no shame in my game" judge gets put on trial for misconduct.
The Chatterati Newsletter Sign Up
The Root DC
- Axel F, D.C.’s classic soul party, to return to the Howard Theatre
- Why I chose to attend a historically black college- as a white person
- Historically black colleges are seeing an increase in white students
- Doing away with food deserts in the District
- State of Equality and Justice in America: The Presumption of Guilt
- Teachers Credited With Saving Students In Okla.
- Chief Keef Arrested On Weed Possession Charge
- GOP Strategist Raynard Jackson Challenges President Obama, ‘Black Elite’ [OPINION]
- Porsha Stewart Locked Out By Husband Kordell?
- Activists Cornel West And Carl Dix Hold Mass Incarceration Dialogue In N.Y.C.