by Lauren Williams onJune 27, 2012
Cissy Houston's homage to Whitney at the BET Awards brings to mind these moving memorials.
June 24, 2010
On the eve of the death of the King of Pop, Conrad Murray strikes deal with Nevada to keep his medical license.
by Sherrilyn A. Ifill onJuly 21, 2009
Yes, in his will, Michael left the kids to Katherine. But without some help, how will his 79-year-old mother care for three young kids? Enter Janet Jackson.
by Dayo Olopade onJuly 13, 2009
Why Beyoncé is the only plausible heir to Michael Jackson’s sparkly glove.
by Cord Jefferson onJuly 13, 2009
In the race to replace Michael Jackson, Justin is the clear front-runner. But he won't win.
by Marjorie Valbrun onJuly 10, 2009
With a few simple words, Michael Jackson’s daughter does more to rescue his legacy than all the sermons and tributes delivered in his memory.
by Kai Wright onJuly 6, 2009
The King of Pop could not distinguish between self-definition and self-mutilation, but we've all had those moments. His problem was a matter of scale.
July 2, 2009
This week on The Confab: Calling out the King of Pop. What does Barack Obama owe Michael Jackson? And is Gov. Mark Sanford smitten or just out of his mind? Join The Root's Deputy Editor Terence Samuel as he talks with contributors to The Root Jimi Izrael and Marjorie Valbrun.
* Podcast production by Abdullah Rufus.
* Podcast theme music by Timothy Morrison.
by Jonathan Pitts-Wiley onJune 25, 2009
There will be plenty of time to speak to what the King of Pop wasn't; his bizarre lifestyle and the rumors that haunted him. But let us not forget that once upon a time, Michael was the very best of us.
by Martin Johnson onJune 25, 2009
Michael Jackson's Thriller was such a phenomenal financial success that the breadth of its musical achievement is often obscured.
- Most Popular
- Most Shared
His Morehouse gradation speech reignited the debate over his posture toward blacks.
The "no shame in my game" judge gets put on trial for misconduct.
The Chatterati Newsletter Sign Up
The Root DC
- Axel F, D.C.’s classic soul party, to return to the Howard Theatre
- Why I chose to attend a historically black college- as a white person
- Historically black colleges are seeing an increase in white students
- Doing away with food deserts in the District
- State of Equality and Justice in America: The Presumption of Guilt
- Ga. Woman Allegedly Stabs Stepdad Multiple Times
- Homeless Teen Graduates At Top Of Her High School Class
- Panel: Apple Uses Firms Outside U.S. To Avoid Taxes
- Chokwe Lumumba: Former Lawyer For Tupac & Assata Shakur Wins Jackson, Miss. Mayoral Primary Race
- Teachers Credited With Saving Students In Okla.