by Sherrilyn A. Ifill onJuly 10, 2009
There is little question that Sonia Sotomayor will be confirmed. But it is important for the White House and Democrats to do it right and set the tone for an even bolder pick the next time.
July 10, 2009
Um...better late than never?
June 29, 2009
The Supreme Court has spoken today, in a 5-4 ruling in favor of the firefighters in the controversial New Haven case (Ricci v. DeStefano), and they have once again opened up a serious Pandora’s box. This case has always troubled me on the merits because it smacks of "well intended "affirmative action policy that does nothing to move us forward...
June 26, 2009
If ever we needed a concrete of example of what's at stake when it comes to Supreme Court appointments, this week's decision in Safford United School District #1 v. Redding fits the bill. This is the case from Arizona involving a 13 year-old middle school student who was strip-searched at school on suspicion of having non-prescription drugs. Justice Thomas’ solo opinion shows once and for all that he’s pretty much gone off the grid.....
May 26, 2009
New York judge would be the first Supreme Court justice of Hispanic descent and only the third woman ever to sit on the panel.
by Kai Wright onApril 22, 2009
For blacks, the green movement has been primarily about bad things dumped in our neighborhoods. But health-based activism isn't enough. Today’s black and green movement must be about jobs and economic sustainability.
- Most Popular
- Most Shared
His Morehouse gradation speech reignited the debate over his posture toward blacks.
The "no shame in my game" judge gets put on trial for misconduct.
The Chatterati Newsletter Sign Up
The Root DC
- Axel F, D.C.’s classic soul party, to return to the Howard Theatre
- Why I chose to attend a historically black college- as a white person
- Historically black colleges are seeing an increase in white students
- Doing away with food deserts in the District
- State of Equality and Justice in America: The Presumption of Guilt
- Ga. Woman Allegedly Stabs Stepdad Multiple Times
- Homeless Teen Graduates At Top Of Her High School Class
- Panel: Apple Uses Firms Outside U.S. To Avoid Taxes
- Chokwe Lumumba: Former Lawyer For Tupac & Assata Shakur Wins Jackson, Miss. Mayoral Primary Race
- Teachers Credited With Saving Students In Okla.