by Edmund Newton onNovember 6, 2011
Mayors, media stars, activists and other influencers came out Saturday to celebrate and reflect.
May 17, 2009
President Barack Obama spoke at the 164th commencement at Notre Dame University in South Bend, Indiana this weekend. The speech was freighted with political controversy, primarily because Notre Dame is affiliated with the Catholic Church, which uniformly opposes the abortion rights and protections that the president supports. These weeks of tension leading up to the speech held an ironic quality—though Americans of many faiths are opposed to the woman's legal right to choose an abortion, Obama had worked with Catholic churches in his early days as a community organizer in Chicago when, as he said with a laugh, "I was really broke and they fed me."...
- Most Popular
- Most Shared
Sergio Garcia's insulting comment to Tiger Woods sparks a conversation on Twitter.
His Morehouse gradation speech reignited the debate over his posture toward blacks.
The Chatterati Newsletter Sign Up
The Root DC
- Axel F, D.C.’s classic soul party, to return to the Howard Theatre
- Why I chose to attend a historically black college- as a white person
- Historically black colleges are seeing an increase in white students
- Doing away with food deserts in the District
- State of Equality and Justice in America: The Presumption of Guilt
- Black Conspiracy Theory 101: Did The White Author Of ‘Black Like Me’ Die From Skin-Darkening?
- Golfer Makes Fried Chicken Joke About Tiger Woods
- NBA’s Kevin Durant Donates $1 Million To Oklahoma Tornado Relief
- Man Sets Up Cameras In House To Find Ghosts, Catches Girlfriend Sexing Son
- Ga. Woman Allegedly Stabs Step-Dad Multiple Times