June 13, 2011
Johannes Mehserle, the ex-BART officer, shot Grant while he was lying facedown on a train platform.
December 6, 2010
The man who may have to serve only seven more months for killing an unarmed man wants bail.
November 5, 2010
Two years for shooting an restrained, unarmed man lying face-down on a subway platform.
October 5, 2010
Ex-BART cop Johannes Mehserle's attorney says that prosecutors misled jurors.
July 10, 2010
The man convicted of involuntary manslaughter apologizes for killing the unarmed transit rider.
July 9, 2010
The Department of Justice's civil rights division will investigate the murder of Oscar Grant.
by Lynette Holloway onJuly 9, 2010
The Root spoke to the Reverends Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton about what it takes to defuse the ongoing tension between the police and the black community.
July 9, 2010
Riots broke out last night in Oakland as protesters were angered by an involuntary manslaughter conviction instead of murder.
July 8, 2010
Ex-BART cop found guilty of involuntary manslaughter.
July 7, 2010
Storefronts board up glass as tension mounts during the wait for the verdict in the Oscar Grant murder trial.
- Most Popular
- Most Shared
His Morehouse gradation speech reignited the debate over his posture toward blacks.
The "no shame in my game" judge gets put on trial for misconduct.
The Chatterati Newsletter Sign Up
The Root DC
- Axel F, D.C.’s classic soul party, to return to the Howard Theatre
- Why I chose to attend a historically black college- as a white person
- Historically black colleges are seeing an increase in white students
- Doing away with food deserts in the District
- State of Equality and Justice in America: The Presumption of Guilt
- Ga. Woman Allegedly Stabs Stepdad Multiple Times
- Homeless Teen Graduates At Top Of Her High School Class
- Panel: Apple Uses Firms Outside U.S. To Avoid Taxes
- Chokwe Lumumba: Former Lawyer For Tupac & Assata Shakur Wins Jackson, Miss. Mayoral Primary Race
- Teachers Credited With Saving Students In Okla.