by Michael Steele onJuly 1, 2011
July Fourth is a good reminder of the dream that African Americans -- and all Americans -- can't afford to let slip away.
July 2, 2010
Readers of The Root told us how they are spending the Fourth of July weekend. How do they compare to your plans?
July 4, 2009
The election of Barack Obama brings us closer to the ideals laid out in the nation's founding documents. That is something to be proud of on the Fourth of July.
by Sundaa Bridgett Jones onJuly 1, 2009
The Fourth of July should be less about celebrating revolution and more about promoting change.
by Kai Wright onJuly 1, 2009
Last year, I was the proudest of Americans. This year, not so much.
by Charlayne Hunter-Gault onJanuary 6, 2009
The election count continues as prospects dim for one of the continent's wiliest politicians.
by Sam Fulwood III onDecember 18, 2008
I, too, barbecue, America. But, here's why I'm not feeling the fireworks.
- Most Popular
- Most Shared
His Morehouse gradation speech reignited the debate over his posture toward blacks.
The "no shame in my game" judge gets put on trial for misconduct.
The Chatterati Newsletter Sign Up
The Root DC
- Axel F, D.C.’s classic soul party, to return to the Howard Theatre
- Why I chose to attend a historically black college- as a white person
- Historically black colleges are seeing an increase in white students
- Doing away with food deserts in the District
- State of Equality and Justice in America: The Presumption of Guilt
- Panel: Apple Uses Firms Outside U.S. To Avoid Taxes
- Chokwe Lumumba: Former Lawyer For Tupac & Assata Shakur Wins Jackson, Miss. Mayoral Primary Race
- Teachers Credited With Saving Students In Okla.
- Chief Keef Arrested On Weed Possession Charge
- GOP Strategist Raynard Jackson Challenges President Obama, ‘Black Elite’ [OPINION]