June 2, 2009
THE ROOT's recent article on "The Rise of The Black Hipster" certainly sparked a lively conversation on the web. My piece, which reported on the cultural appropriation of white hipster style by young black folks, and the similar theft of black street style by white folks, was more of a description than an argument. Walking the streets of my various cities, I wondered: What to make of the hybrid moment?
Richard Florida, Gawker, Murray Whyte and many others responded....
May 20, 2009
The urban dandy movement seems to have returned with a sexual identity component it didn’t have back in the 80s. The new hipster/dandy ethos mash-up has a racial and sexual ambiguity component that seems far less about self-expression and fashion but more about emasculating and homogenizing men of all colors, as if it’s not OK to just be hetero, without apology.
May 18, 2009
We've seen white hipsters for years now—but what makes a "blipster" tick? The Root takes a look at blipster style throughout history.
- Most Popular
- Most Shared
Celeb Social: Check out the first in a weekly series dedicated to stars' social media accounts.
The Chatterati Newsletter Sign Up
The Root DC
- House Passes Far-Reaching Anti-Abortion Bill
- Dark Girls: Documentary About Dark-Skinned Women To Air On OWN Network
- Jay-Z-Samsung Deal Shows New Ways To Promote Music
- Face2FaceAfrica Honors Distinguished Africans At 2nd Annual F.A.C.E. List Awards
- No Trace Of North Carolina Family Man Missing Since 2010